10 replies to this topic

#1 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:46 AM

When looking at cemetery transcripts, etc., I will do a search of my database to see if any names match. But, I have my women entered by their maiden names, and the women on the lists usually have only their married name listed.

Any suggestion on how to search, create a custom report, or otherwise obtain a list of women on my database by married name?

Thanks!

#2 Candy

Candy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:54 AM

What I usually do in those circumstances, is put in the married name, and then scan them to see the spouses listed in the lower right box. If I find one that matches, or is a possible variation/nickname, I will copy the obit and do further checking at a later time. To me, it is easier to copy it and toss it if it is not family than to try and remember where I found it the first time.
Candy

~~ In a perpetual state of not knowing if I'm coming or going.

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:48 AM

You can do a report or search > Find for selected people, selecting by data fields.
Given name -- contains -- Mary
AND -- surname (birth or Married) - equals -- Smith
AND -- surname == does not equal -- Smith

To find or list all people who have Mary as part of their given name who married a Smith.

======== ------------------ ==============

After noticing the two following notes, I thought of a problem with my "Solution"

Smith is quite a common name, it is possible that Mr. Smith might marry Miss Smith and then the "And surname == does not equal == Smith" would eliminate this kind of union.
Alfred

#4 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:53 AM

Thank you both for your replies. A solution to my problem, and quickly, too! Gotta love this message board.

#5 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:56 AM

That's what I do. Search for given name contains AND surname equals AND married surname equals.
With those three criteria, I can generally narrow the field considerably. Then, I look at the spouse's name to see if it's a match for each of the choices.
JIM.B.NH

#6 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Sep 20 2006, 07:48 AM) View Post

You can do a report or search > Find for selected people, selecting by data fields.
Given name -- contains -- Mary
AND -- surname (birth or Married) - equals -- Smith
AND -- surname == does not equal -- Smith

To find or list all people who have Mary as part of their given name who married a Smith.

Wouldn't one save a step by using

"given name" "contains"
AND
"married surname" "equals" ?

Or would that give different results?

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

"Wouldn't one save a step by using
"given name" "contains"
AND
"=============================

It sure would!

I just looked in the search cryteria for "Surname" and saw "Surname" and "Surname (married or birth)", I didn't look under married for "Married Surname."

And, since I cannot Remember everything, I had forgotten that it was even one of the choices.

This "Married surname" thingie even takes care of the potential problem with a Smith marrying another Smith that I just added to my previous post.
Alfred

#8 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Sep 20 2006, 12:38 PM) View Post

It sure would!

I just looked in the search cryteria for "Surname" and saw "Surname" and "Surname (married or birth)", I didn't look under married for "Married Surname."

And, since I cannot Remember everything, I had forgotten that it was even one of the choices.

This "Married surname" thingie even takes care of the potential problem with a Smith marrying another Smith that I just added to my previous post.

That criteria entry should be relabeled as "Surname (married)" instead of "Married surname" to bring it in line with the other entries.

#9 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE(Ludlow Bay @ Sep 20 2006, 03:30 PM) View Post

Wouldn't one save a step by using

"given name" "contains"
AND

Or would that give different results?

Saves a step but adds a lot of "hits". If you look for Surname AND married SURNAME it sure narrows the search a lot more.
JIM.B.NH

#10 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(Jim Belanger @ Sep 21 2006, 04:48 AM) View Post

Saves a step but adds a lot of "hits". If you look for Surname AND married SURNAME it sure narrows the search a lot more.

True, perhaps, but not appropriate to this thread. The initial problem was to "search, create a custom report, or otherwise obtain a list of women on my database by married name". The person was using "cemetery transcripts ... [where] ... the women on the lists usually have only their married name listed." In other words, a case where the UNmarried surname is not known.

#11 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:14 PM

OK, so I lost track of the original question. My wife says I do that a lot! Anyway, use my suggestion when it fits. I guess I offered "too much" help! Have a nice weekend everyone!
JIM.B.NH