11 replies to this topic

#1 decann

decann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 03:27 PM

While I will concede the fact that as good as RM is, it will NEVER please everyone, I have got to voice concern over the new birth "unknown date" feature that showed up in RM2. Bruce, I do not like it at all. It makes it inconsistent with other facts, and even within the birth fact itself, and I respectfully request that it either be removed in a very early update or else made an optional feature.

PLEASE do not require us to use it. I (and a number of others) was one of the folks who disliked the "Private" entry for privatizing information on living people, and I was very happy when you removed it and gave us a much better way of doing it. Now, you have in effect put it back in the form of this "unknown date" feature that we once again must use. PLEASE REMOVE IT in an early update to the software, or else make it optional.

#2 deb750

deb750

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:09 AM

I just received my RM2 copy. Of course, I installed it and I'm looking at the new release. I've been requesting an option to delete all of those "UNKNOWN" notations in the fact fields for a little while. I was startled when I read your post because I just don't want a bzillion of the "UNKNOWN" in my reports. It just annoys me.

Having said that and looking at RM2, I just can't see where it requires that "UNKNOWN" to be included when adding a birth. I've tried adding some test cases with unknown dates and nothing seems to be added as you have stated. I don't want to continue with RM2 if this is the case. I've used this software for many years and dearly love it but I just can't take all of those "UNKNOWNS" in my database. I've worked for months and months getting them out and I'm not finishd either. Please tell me more. blink.gif

Deb

#3 diamondk

diamondk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:28 AM

We agree, either make the birth "date unknown" an option or remove it. If we want our reports to say "date unknown" we will put it into the database. We spent considerable time removing the "unknowns" from our database and really don't want the program to put them back in with no options.

#4 Guest_craig g_*

Guest_craig g_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:24 AM

I agree that the "person was born date unknown" is not wanted or needed in reports when there are no other facts. "person was born" would suffice.
By the way, it's not when there are no facts, it's when there are no person facts that are directed to reports that this happens.

#5 deb750

deb750

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:36 AM

Another twist on the "UNKNOWN" notation in the date field. I just receive a database with some connecting information for my family. This person has the following (multiple variations) in the date fields.

__ __ 1890
__ __ 18__
11 __ 18__

I thought the UNKNOWN was the only item in the date field that was frustrating. Now, I find another type that needs cleaning up. Of course, this entry doesn't sort properly either so I must clean up the date fields so the program can work properly. Grrrrr sad.gif

Deb

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:30 AM

GOOD GRIEF! CHARLEY BROWN,

There is nothing added to any field in the database.

If an individual in entered with no facts where the sentence structure uses His/Her name, then the name is use in narrative reports in that much hated line, (Which it is obvious to me, most of the complainers haven't been able to find.) "John Doe was born date unknown." It is only used to make sure that the name shows up and so the narrative report will not be worded:
“John Doe.
John Doe and Jane Smith were married …”

Which caused nearly as much consternation in version 1.0.

If you see unknown in the date field, RootsMagic did not put it there.

As for the underline characters, or any other added characters in a date field, it is probably easiest to edit them out of the GEDCOM before importing them.

== If you want to get rid of this line so badly, then your suggestion on something of value as a replacement with might be in order. == (And, don’t say “Alfred’s Obituary biggrin.gif )

Alfred

#7 Guest_Elda O_*

Guest_Elda O_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2004 - 07:30 PM

biggrin.gif I always liked Family Origins and really like RootsMagic. There are some quirks, like "Name born date unknown" but I have decided that's not all bad. When you send a report with that to someone, asking for information, it's pretty obvious to them then that they need to add the birth date. I use the Narrative Report alot, but when I'm ready to print a report to publish, I can then modify/edit as desired. Thanks for RootsMagic! I recommend to everyone.

#8 Guest_Zenda_*

Guest_Zenda_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2004 - 08:04 PM

huh.gif I can't see what all the fuss is over the "date unknown" imput. When preparing a report you are usually sending it to someone to inform or request information on your family. This lets them know you do not know the date of birth and if they have it, they can pass it on, or maybe they are in a position to look it up for you (within the country concerned). Either way does such a small thing aggrivate peole so much? A final report can always be edited out via your word processor. I love version 2.

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:49 PM

rolleyes.gif
When I send a report to family member, I like having a blank field for them to fill in and send back to me. I hate tring to decipher writing written around "date unknown".
Hence I enter my birthdates as this:
<Name> born "on _________" in "____________".

That way they only have to fill in the blanks. It makes it so much easier for both of us.

wink.gif

#10 CLapsley

CLapsley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:54 AM

Am not sure but it seems to me that a whole lot is being made over a simple problem.javascript:emoticon(':unsure:')
javascript:emoticon(':unsure:') If a date is unknown, it's relatively easy to place a question mark "?" in the date field, drop down to the sort date field and enter an appropriate date to place the event in the proper sequence for printing. Of course, it's better to calculate approximate dates whenever possible. For example, if a couple were married on 1 Jan in a specific year, then their first child would most likely have been born sometime in Sep of that year - or later.. Granted, this doesn't take into account those cases where the cart was before the horse, but still it helps to have an approximate date. The abbreviations of "Aft" or "Bef" work quite well in this type of situation and clearly indicate the date is a "guestimate".

#11 Guest_Linda Sharp_*

Guest_Linda Sharp_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2004 - 04:44 PM

I like the unknown for the fact, you know just by looking what information you or others know that you still need. The only problem is you have to type it in over and over again, wish there was a short cut. Love my Roots Magic.

#12 CLapsley

CLapsley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (Linda Sharp @ Aug 7 2004, 03:44 PM)
I like the unknown for the fact, you know just by looking what information you or others know that you still need. The only problem is you have to type it in over and over again, wish there was a short cut. Love my Roots Magic.

As far as locations are concerned, what I type in is "an unknown location" and whenever I type the word "an" RM finishes it for me. As far as using Unknown for a date field, I also use "????" as the date and use <CTRL><C> to copy it to the Windows Clipboard. Then to reuse it later, simply press <CTRL><V> to paste it in the appropriate field. I also use sentence fragments which I've saved to disk as text files and then assemble them as needed for my notes fields.. You can also do the same thing for date fields and/or name fields. Saves a lot of typing.