5 replies to this topic

#1 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:24 AM

I bought the downloadable version of RM. I was too anxious to get started to wait for a CD in the mail. However, if I had bought the CD, I would have bought it with the book. Now, I don't know if it's worth ordering the book separately.

I do have a lot of questions - mostly about Custom Reports, Book Creation, and Web Site Creation. Are these topics well-covered in the book? Would it be helpful to me to buy a copy of the book, or simply ask my questions (there are many) here on the Message boards? How thorough is this book, and how valuable did those of you who have it find it to be?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:10 AM

I think that the book is worth while, especially if you are a new RootsMagic user. To get an idea about what can be done, I find it easier to read a book from cover to cover than it is to go through all of the Help file articles.

Once I have an idea of what the program is capable of, I go to the help file to review how to cary out those projects. There is quite a bit in the RootsMagic Help file. Press F1 or Click "Help" and choose "Help Topics."
Then click the "Search" tab and type in "Reports." There you will see a long list of reports and how to create them.
Alfred

#3 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:44 AM

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, but I did want to thank you for your response. I think for the time being, I'll play around with "Help Topics", and post the occassional question here, if need be. Thanks again.

#4 Guest_Jay Henry_*

Guest_Jay Henry_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:31 PM

huh.gif
QUOTE(vlanders @ Aug 24 2006, 05:24 AM) View Post

I bought the downloadable version of RM. I was too anxious to get started to wait for a CD in the mail. However, if I had bought the CD, I would have bought it with the book. Now, I don't know if it's worth ordering the book separately.

I do have a lot of questions - mostly about Custom Reports, Book Creation, and Web Site Creation. Are these topics well-covered in the book? Would it be helpful to me to buy a copy of the book, or simply ask my questions (there are many) here on the Message boards? How thorough is this book, and how valuable did those of you who have it find it to be?

I have the book, but there is no answer to the question about adding photos to the text, when putting together a book.

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:53 PM

For Narrative reports, Click the "Format Options" button.

Most of the other report types have a box for photos right on the main report options dialog window.

The only photo printed with reports, other than the scrapbooks, is the individual's picture that you have chosen as the Primary Photo.
Alfred

#6 Gayle_Aust

Gayle_Aust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:22 AM

Hello. I have recently purchased the CD and the book for Rootsmagic. I have it really helpful, in particular with the shortcuts you can take when moving around the product and selecting data. I had a problem which I put on the noticeboard prior to reading the book, and was assisted wonderfully via the noticeboard. On first reading of the book I found the same solution to my problem BUT I doubt I would have been able to find it if I went searching for the problem in the book. I haven't done much with the customisation of reports yet so will see how that goes in future. I think the noticeboard is a great place for problem solving, but the book will give you answers to the questions that you don't ask eg. how to navigate rootsmagic most efficiently etc.