4 replies to this topic

#1 Frank Morton

Frank Morton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:54 AM

unsure.gif Hi,

I have four lines of family history that I am entering into RM. My wife's Mother's side and her Father's side and my Mother's side and my Fathers side. Thats four seperate databases in all.

Is it best to merge my wife's two family names into one and my two family names into one making just two databases instead of having four databases.

I am not sure what the norm is when compiling family history databases. Your advice would be appreciated

Regards

Frank..

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:25 PM

I think it is best to have everything in One database.

If you and your wife have any descendants, they would have to go through four databases to find and list their ancestors if you use seperate databases for each of their grandparents.

To be facetious: why stop at seperate databases for each of your parents, why not just put every individual in his/her own database? rolleyes.gif
Alfred

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE(Frank Morton @ Jul 31 2006, 08:54 AM) View Post

unsure.gif Hi,

I have four lines of family history that I am entering into RM. My wife's Mother's side and her Father's side and my Mother's side and my Fathers side. Thats four seperate databases in all.

Is it best to merge my wife's two family names into one and my two family names into one making just two databases instead of having four databases.

I am not sure what the norm is when compiling family history databases. Your advice would be appreciated

Regards

Frank..

Once upon a time, I tried maintaining different databases for different family lines. Got too difficult to remember who was in which databse, so I merged them all together. In addition, I found that the more I learned about the various family lines I was researching, the more often another link showed up between a couple of otherwise distinct family lines. If you maintain separate databases, that means you have to duplicate some of the individuals in two or more databases. That didn't make any sense to me.

You don't need to worry about the size of the database, I think the RM limit is something like 2 billion individuals. My database is currently a bit over 72,000 individuals, and I have no problems working on a laptop with 128MB of RAM.

#4 Frank Morton

Frank Morton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:22 PM

I must have been crazy in running four databases for four lines of family names. My wife says that I am a "sandwich short of a picnic". Anyway, my next question is, how can I safely merge all four databases into one. I have already checked for dupilcates in each database and packed each database before I start to do any merging.

My knees are knocking at the prospect of ending up with dupilcate persons, unknown spouses or losing people in the database. I would appreciate your guidance, bearing mind that I am a little slow on the uptake.

Regards

Frank...

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:53 PM

This would be my procedure:

Make a backup of each of the four databases.
open the largest database, Rename it, then open That person's spouse's database along side it, (RootsMagic will allow as many as nine databases open at the same time,)

Now, I am assuming you have your parents both in both databases?
Drag the spouse from the left database and drop hm/her on herself in the right one.
When asked if this is the same person, say yes, and say you want to move the entire database.

Now close the left hand database, leaving the combined one on the right.
Do the same with the other two databases, your spouse's parents, drag someone from each database to your newly renamed combined database and drop them on themselves.

Once you have all four databases combined, you will still have some people to merge.

Tools > Merge > automatic merge > smart merge, (you might as well leave the checkmark for sources and repositories there too.)

Next you will still have to do a Tools > Merge > Duplicate search/merge where you have the final choice about suspected matches.

GOOD LUCK!
Alfred