4 replies to this topic

#1 Frank Morton

Frank Morton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:08 AM

Hi,

Sorry to post this again, I did not realise that I had to register on the forum. I thought perhaps I would not get an answer if unregistered. I have been using Roots magic for a couple of years and often wanted to save a wall chart in PDF format so that I can send to relations. As most other reports in Roots Magic are capable of doing this, is there a way that wall charts can be done in the same way.

Many Thanks

Frank Morton

#2 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:16 AM

On the RootsMagic menu bar File>Export> this will show you the various formats the chart can be exported to. Choose one of those that can be read by all Windows based computers, .emf, .bmp, .jpg. I don't know if the other 3 choices can be read by Windows without the program that creates that type file.

To answer the original question, the chart cannot be saved as a PDF file.

#3 Frank Morton

Frank Morton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE(don @ Jul 20 2006, 05:16 PM) View Post

On the RootsMagic menu bar File>Export> this will show you the various formats the chart can be exported to. Choose one of those that can be read by all Windows based computers, .emf, .bmp, .jpg. I don't know if the other 3 choices can be read by Windows without the program that creates that type file.

To answer the original question, the chart cannot be saved as a PDF file.

#4 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE(Frank Morton @ Jul 20 2006, 12:08 PM) View Post

Hi,

Sorry to post this again, I did not realise that I had to register on the forum. I thought perhaps I would not get an answer if unregistered. I have been using Roots magic for a couple of years and often wanted to save a wall chart in PDF format so that I can send to relations. As most other reports in Roots Magic are capable of doing this, is there a way that wall charts can be done in the same way.

Many Thanks

Frank Morton

Frank,

As Don pointed out, you cannot save to a pdf file but you can download a pdf printer and then print to a pdf file that creates a pdf file for you can attach to an email. The problem with this is that the pdf file is probably going to be multiple pages that have to be put together on the other end with tape.

Also see http://www.rootsmagi...?showtopic=3565

#5 Frank Morton

Frank Morton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE(Bob C @ Jul 20 2006, 05:34 PM) View Post

Frank,

As Don pointed out, you cannot save to a pdf file but you can download a pdf printer and then print to a pdf file that creates a pdf file for you can attach to an email. The problem with this is that the pdf file is probably going to be multiple pages that have to be put together on the other end with tape.

Also see http://www.rootsmagi...?showtopic=3565

Hi,

Thanks to Bob and Don's suggestions, I exported an entire wall chart to *.jpg then converted this to a PDF file which I was able to save in pdf format. It turned out with excellent results. I was able to Zoom in or out on the chart whilst in PDF format. Ok, if my recipient wanted to print it out, it will span several pages and have to tape them all together. My main purpose was to attach a wall chart in pdf format and email it. In my case, the above has worked. I use Adobe Acrobat 6

Many thanks for your suggestions

Frank......