17 replies to this topic

#1 RAS in CT

RAS in CT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 02:52 PM

dry.gif [font=Comic Sans Ms][size=2]
I've bought two "family tree" software packages and I'm still unsatisfied. I cannot find a direct answer in the RM forums or in help so far. I want to be sure that my "tree" is updated online, available as a backup to my local file(s) and can be accessed (not modified) by other family members. I'd like to have the answer before I invest time and money into yet another software package.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:46 PM

You can upload to a website, but as far as I know, you will have to upload a new one each time you want it to contain your latest edits.

I know of no way to work on your already uploaded tree.
Alfred

#3 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE(RAS in CT @ Jul 9 2006, 01:52 PM) View Post

dry.gif [font=Comic Sans Ms][size=2]
I want to be sure that my "tree" is updated online, available as a backup to my local file(s) and can be accessed (not modified) by other family members.

Depends on where you're putting it online. Any program that creates a GEDCOM can be used to upload your tree to WorldConnect, for instance, which meets all the criteria you mentioned.

#4 JeannieMiller

JeannieMiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jul 12 2006, 04:46 PM) View Post

You can upload to a website, but as far as I know, you will have to upload a new one each time you want it to contain your latest edits.

I know of no way to work on your already uploaded tree.

I have uploaded my tree to http://www.onegreatfamily.com using RM 3.0 and anyone of my family can few it and add their own GEDROM but can only ask that it be merged with your info. Only you can accept it and merge.

It also gives ideas huh.gif to locations for more information on the names on you list and allows members to colaberate with information etc.

You have to download their free genealogy browser but nothing else.

#5 Guest_RAS in CT_*

Guest_RAS in CT_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE(Ludlow Bay @ Jul 12 2006, 03:00 PM) View Post

Depends on where you're putting it online. Any program that creates a GEDCOM can be used to upload your tree to WorldConnect, for instance, which meets all the criteria you mentioned.

dry.gif I should have been more descriptive in my question. I may have jumped to conclusions in thinking "online" is a normal part of RootsMagic. I am using FamilyLegends now which has the online storage and automatic update each time it's used. I am worried about its longevity due to rumors that Pearl Software (publisher) has been sold. In asking my question here I assumed RM also had the online feature which, it appears, it does not. In that case I will probably stick with "Legends". The online feature is a great idea for sharing with friends and family. What's the point of having the TREE if it cannot easily be seen without dragging my own PC around?

#6 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:42 AM

It's fairly easy to create a webpage via the RootsMagic software; it does have the capability built in. As Alfred suggests, instead of an online update being made automatically, you have to manually upload those webpage files to your site of choice (via an FTP utility, etc.). If your source data were to subsequently change, you'd also have to regenerate the webpage files before uploading.

#7 Lisa Masters

Lisa Masters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(RAS in CT @ Jul 12 2006, 04:28 PM) View Post

dry.gif I should have been more descriptive in my question. I may have jumped to conclusions in thinking "online" is a normal part of RootsMagic. I am using FamilyLegends now which has the online storage and automatic update each time it's used. I am worried about its longevity due to rumors that Pearl Software (publisher) has been sold. In asking my question here I assumed RM also had the online feature which, it appears, it does not. In that case I will probably stick with "Legends". The online feature is a great idea for sharing with friends and family. What's the point of having the TREE if it cannot easily be seen without dragging my own PC around?

I bought Family Legends also thinking I was going to be happy, and two when I found out about it's
future I was very angry, I had just bought Family Tree est. 2006 a week before that, and found out it
was not complete. Don't ask

Anyways now I am on RootsMagic now, bought it a week after Family Legends, I am pretty Happy
now thou it does make you work a little harder to get things in the database, but the out come is
what I should of had a long time ago. Nicely done!

Lisa

#8 RAS in CT

RAS in CT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(Lisa Masters @ Jul 18 2006, 05:29 PM) View Post

I bought Family Legends also thinking I was going to be happy, and two when I found out about it's
future I was very angry, I had just bought Family Tree est. 2006 a week before that, and found out it
was not complete. Don't ask

Anyways now I am on RootsMagic now, bought it a week after Family Legends, I am pretty Happy
now thou it does make you work a little harder to get things in the database, but the out come is
what I should of had a long time ago. Nicely done!

Lisa

huh.gif There are several comments about "uploading" RM data to a web site. I'm confused. FamilyTree Legends actually has online space for that purpose. It's not clear to me that Roots Magic has the same and I can't find documentation that describes an online, updatable website. Can you expand on that? Thanks, RAS in CT.

#9 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:02 PM

You can create a static Web Site and upload it.

There is no dynamic web based feature in rootsMagic.

The Web Site you upload is not easily editable. If you want to keep your online information current, you would have to create a complete new web site and upload it after each editing session, overwriting the old one.

Under the Internet menu there is a choice "Create a Web Site."

After you create it, you can browse it on your computer and then make the choice as to whether you want to upload it to the WEB or not. Uploading is something you have to use an FTP program for, RootsMagic has no uploading facility.

Alfred

#10 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE(RAS in CT @ Jul 18 2006, 02:54 PM) View Post

huh.gif There are several comments about "uploading" RM data to a web site. I'm confused. FamilyTree Legends actually has online space for that purpose. It's not clear to me that Roots Magic has the same and I can't find documentation that describes an online, updatable website. Can you expand on that? Thanks, RAS in CT.

Search the RootsMagic help file for "uploading" - you'll find that RootsMagic does NOT offer webspace for the website files it creates.

Check with your local internet service provider (ISP) they may provide webspace as part of your monthly fee.

#11 RAS in CT

RAS in CT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE(Ludlow Bay @ Jul 18 2006, 10:03 PM) View Post

Search the RootsMagic help file for "uploading" - you'll find that RootsMagic does NOT offer webspace for the website files it creates.

Check with your local internet service provider (ISP) they may provide webspace as part of your monthly fee.

wink.gif I thank everyone who supplied answers for my mystery of how to maintain online records of a RootsMagic Family Tree. I still think that as good as RM is supposed to be, the ideas that "Family Legends" attempted to implement are superior in thought, if not in reality. Actually, major parts of it do work. The problems lie in a complete lack of support right now. The idea of family throughout the world having access to your tree and its latest updates is the way to go. Having to create one's own website and then upload to it, as RM requires, is 1980's state-of-the-art. Even the free Ancestry.com allows for online updates in its free data collection area. Don't want to fork out hundreds of dollars each year for the search capability though.
Maybe there are other options out there.

#12 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:04 PM

I found World connect was very satisfactory in having complete control of your database.
You might want to check it out.
Larry
smile.gif

#13 Jillaine Smith

Jillaine Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE(Larry @ Jul 20 2006, 09:04 PM) View Post

I found World connect was very satisfactory in having complete control of your database.
You might want to check it out.
Larry
smile.gif

I also STRONGLY recommend WorldConnect:
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com
(use the Rootsweb "side" not the Ancestry.com side.) My reasons:

1. It is VERY easy to upload and replace/update your family tree online
2. It joins into probably the largest collection of online family trees that are then jointly searchable.
3. It allows significant control over what is and is not displayed.
4. It serves as a great back-up system in case your computer ever goes out on you.
5. You do not have to recreate a new web site or upload duplicates each time you update your tree-- you simply update the existing one.
6. You can control whether or not you want people to download the entire gedcom.

This is what my Rootsmagic-generated GEDCOM looks like on WorldConnect:
http://worldconnect....gi?db=jss_jauch
(I have my settings set to disallow GEDCOM download.)

-- Jillaine

#14 RAS in CT

RAS in CT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE(Jillaine Smith @ Jul 22 2006, 02:00 PM) View Post

(use the Rootsweb "side" not the Ancestry.com side.) My reasons:

1. It is VERY easy to upload and replace/update your family tree online
2. It joins into probably the largest collection of online family trees that are then jointly searchable.
3. It allows significant control over what is and is not displayed.
4. It serves as a great back-up system in case your computer ever goes out on you.
5. You do not have to recreate a new web site or upload duplicates each time you update your tree-- you simply update the existing one.
6. You can control whether or not you want people to download the entire gedcom.

This is what my Rootsmagic-generated GEDCOM looks like on WorldConnect:
http://worldconnect....gi?db=jss_jauch
(I have my settings set to disallow GEDCOM download.)

-- Jillaine

biggrin.gif Great example! I really appreciate your help. I will now have to look deeper into all of this. I've been limiting myself too much. Thanks very much, Rich in CT.

#15 AC25

AC25

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:52 PM

Something else that may interest you is here:

http://www.phpgedview.net/

"PhpGedView is a revolutionary genealogy program which allows you to view and edit your genealogy on your website. PhpGedView has full editing capabilities, full privacy functions, can import from GEDCOM files, and supports multimedia like photos and document images. PhpGedView also simplifies the process of collaborating with others working on your family tree. Your latest genealogy information is always on your website and available for others to see."

I personally know little else about it, but have it bookmarked for interest sake. I hope it doesn't break any rules to mention it here.

AC

#16 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE(AC25 @ Jul 22 2006, 03:52 PM) View Post
Your latest genealogy information is always on your website and available for others to see."

I personally know little else about it, but have it bookmarked for interest sake. I hope it doesn't break any rules to mention it here.

AC

Just as an aside, you should know that in order to use PhpGedView... you must possess or purchase web space (web hosting) online somewhere, it must provide support for the website programming language PHP on that server and you would need, at least, a "minimal" familiarity with how FTP, webhosting and PHP works. wink.gif

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#17 Guest_Guest_kboyerjmj_*_*

Guest_Guest_kboyerjmj_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(RAS in CT @ Jul 22 2006, 11:38 AM) View Post

biggrin.gif Great example! I really appreciate your help. I will now have to look deeper into all of this. I've been limiting myself too much. Thanks very much, Rich in CT.

Just read your suggestion about GEDCOM file today. Have posted a website as it looks to be the easiest way tos share info with other interested family members.

#18 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:53 AM

QUOTE(Jillaine Smith @ Jul 22 2006, 02:00 PM) View Post

(use the Rootsweb "side" not the Ancestry.com side.)

What do you mean by using the Rootsweb side instead of the Ancestry.com side, and why do you recommend we do so?