• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 evonri

evonri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 10:43 PM

I am receiving Code Base Error -970 = Data Structure Corrupt or not initialized; invalid or unknown error code. I opened this program earlier today without any problem. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong. Rita

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 07:11 AM

I don't know specificly what a codebase -970 error is, but they usually indicate a corrupted or unavailable part of the database. Data structure corrupt, sounds like something is messed up in one or more of the database files.

If you haven't moved any files or opened any with another program, then maybe something wasn't quite finished writing to a file when you shut down or started something else.

If you have a recent backup, restoring that should fix the problem. If the recent backup was made as you shut down last time, it could possibly be in the same fix.
Alfred

#3 evonri

evonri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 08:01 AM

Thanks Alfred. I don't have a recent backup. If I uninstalled the program and then put the disk back in to reinstall, would I lose all my data? (I am assuming at this point there is nothing I can do to retreive the information). sad.gif I guess at this point, there isn't any other recourse. I tried restoring the system back to another date, but that did not work.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 12:24 PM

I doubt that reinstalling the program will do any good.

In any case, it shouldn't have any effect on the data if you use the control panel add/remove program thingie.

_Of course if you go in with Windows explorer and start deleting things, you could delete some data files by accident.

Each Family Origins database consists of 35 files in one database, if any one of these files is missing or altered, the database won't work properly, if at all.

-- It May be that Bruce will chime in here, He is probable one of the few people that can tell you what a codebase error -970 actually is.

In Family Origins' Options menu, if you select Program options and then the General tab. There you can mark the line "Ask for backup when exiting." If you let this go to the hard drive, it only takes a few seconds to create a backup every time you close down. One of these should be saved to removable media once in a while, just in case the whole hard drive gives up.
Alfred

#5 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:14 PM

I haven't ever seen a -970 error before, but the message after that number almost surely indicates that the data file is corrupt.
RootsMagician