e-mail GEDCOM

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Julie_*

Guest_Julie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:21 PM

I'm still trying to figure out the ins and outs of this program. I've had several computer crashes lately and have lost LOTS of data. I thought I had backed everything up to a ZIP drive but I can't get it from the ZIP drive to a CD so I can load it on this computer (which doesn't have a ZIP drive). So back to hours upon hours of re-entry. My question is...is there a way to e-mail my database to myself so that I have a copy I can retrieve later if (and when) I have more computer problems?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 04:24 PM

yes. you can export a GEDCOM file and attach it to an email to yourself as an attachment, but it would probably be better to make a backup file, it is compressed already so that it will be a smaller file to work with, attach that to an email and mail it to yourself.

But, if your email is set, as mine is, to delete the emails from the server as they are downloaded, there will not be a copy on the sever, only in your in-box.

By a zip drive, do you mean the I-Omega drive that looks something like a 3'5" floppy?
Some people call compressed zip files a Zip drive, they are not, but some call them that anyway. rolleyes.gif

It gets me so confused sometimes, but then, I don't have too far to go. blink.gif

================By the way, neither the backup, zip file nor the GEDCOM file contains your multimedia files. They both contain links to the multimedia files, wherever they are located on your computer, but not the files themselves.
Alfred

#3 Guest_Julie_*

Guest_Julie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2006 - 04:30 PM

Yes, it's an I-Omega zip drive that I have on one computer but not the other....

#4 Guest_Julie_*

Guest_Julie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2006 - 04:37 PM

So how do I attach a backup to an e-mail? I've got a saved folder through my server and have always been able to access things from there even after a computer crash. I'm desperate at this point. I've been reentering data all afternoon and haven't made a dent yet. There's got to be a better way..... dry.gif

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 05:49 PM

If you have used the Folders of the Options menu to direct your backups to a folder you can browse to there after clicking there after choosing to add an attachment to your email.

Both Thunderbird and Outlook Express use a paperclip icon on the toolbar to bring up a window you can use to browse to the folder holding your backup files. The backup file will have a ZIP extension and will probably be named something like your database, with maybe the date after the database name.

If you haven't selected a default folder, you can look for files with the ZIP extension to see where they might be. Probably either in the same folder with your database or in My Documents.

When you find the backup file from your email, just double click on it and it will be attached to the email.

If you are using AOL, and maybe some other email programs, you may not be able to attach a file as large as your backup is, then things can get difficult.

===============ZIP disks aren't the only thing that is going by the wayside, Floppy drives are about a thing of the past too. You can still buy an external 3.5" floppy drive that plugs into an USB port. But, hardly any new computers come with a floppy drive installed.
Alfred

#6 Guest_Julie_*

Guest_Julie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for your help Alfred. I'm still not having any luck (computer illiterate you know) but I'll perservere tomorrow!

#7 Dennis

Dennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:06 AM

QUOTE(Julie @ Jul 2 2006, 05:37 PM) View Post

So how do I attach a backup to an e-mail? I've got a saved folder through my server and have always been able to access things from there even after a computer crash. I'm desperate at this point. I've been reentering data all afternoon and haven't made a dent yet. There's got to be a better way..... dry.gif

Julie...

Various email programs have the option in different places to attach a file. I have had problems sending an email to myself from yahoo so I don't know if you can do it with your email ISP. If you have different email addresses, which is a good idea, then go to one of your non main email programs and open the program, such as yahoo or gmail. Enter your email address that you want to send the file to in the "To:" field. In the subject field, just put something simple like "here" or "file" or you can even enter something more descriptive such as "Family info backup 20060709." In yahoo, there is a button right below the subject field that says "Attach Files." Click on that button. You will be taken to a screen that will allow you to attach up to 5 files with a total of 10 meg. Click on the "Browse" button to navigate to the folder where you stored your file. Select the file you want. Repeat this process for up to a total of 5 files. Once all the file(s) have been selected, then click on the button at the top/bottom of the page that says "Attach Files." Yahoo will scan the files for viruses and if all passes muster, you will be taken back to the main screen. Click the send button.

Dennis

#8 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:30 AM

QUOTE(Julie @ Jul 2 2006, 04:21 PM) View Post

I'm still trying to figure out the ins and outs of this program. I've had several computer crashes lately and have lost LOTS of data. I thought I had backed everything up to a ZIP drive but I can't get it from the ZIP drive to a CD so I can load it on this computer (which doesn't have a ZIP drive). So back to hours upon hours of re-entry. My question is...is there a way to e-mail my database to myself so that I have a copy I can retrieve later if (and when) I have more computer problems?

If you have LOTS of info on the ZIP drive have you thought about having someone remove it from the old computer and installing it in the new one? (unless, of course, you know that it can't be installed in the new one or it was fried with the old computer)

#9 Candy

Candy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:18 AM

Julie,

You just say that you have your info on a 'zip' drive. Is it on a zip diskette? If so, I have a zip drive and would be willing to create a gedcom from your info on the disk. You can snail mail it to me and I will return it to you when I have created a gedcom for you.

My zip drive will accommodate both the 100 mb and the 250 mb disks.

Please email me at 'tazeq@aol.com,' putting 'Genealogy Request' in the subject line, and I will send you my snail mail address.

Candy
Candy

~~ In a perpetual state of not knowing if I'm coming or going.

#10 Guest_Nigel_*

Guest_Nigel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE(Julie @ Jul 2 2006, 02:21 PM) View Post

Hello Julie.
My first time on this forum so someone may have answered you allready.
Anyway I recently updated my computer and moved all my files and programmes to the new computer via a free yahoo email account at http://au.yahoo.com/. Just click on the 1GB email icon next to Yahoo 7 at the top. You should be able to set up an account from there. When you set up this account subscribe to a newsletter or something using this account email so the account is used regurlarly and not shut down from lack of use.

Also you may wish to add your tree to this site http://wc.rootsweb.com/ for free on the net and never lose it again. This site has full public access. It is a fairly easy site to use but if you have any trouble with either site just let me know.
Nigel

#11 Paddy

Paddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE(Julie @ Jul 3 2006, 08:37 AM) View Post

You can also right click on your back up folder and then click send to and then mail recipient, choose your email account from there. I recomended Yahoo as it has a 1 GB email account and worked well for me.