• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ttl

ttl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:55 PM

What is the best way to handle multiple birthdates in RootsMagic? Different censuses have different birthdates for the same person, and I would like to record them both.

#2 bvalco

bvalco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE(ttl @ Jun 1 2006, 03:55 PM) View Post

What is the best way to handle multiple birthdates in RootsMagic? Different censuses have different birthdates for the same person, and I would like to record them both.

I designed a new fact--birth 2 (conflicting)--for a second birth date, and wrote the displayed sentence to remind myself or someone who uses the gedcom to check further, i.e. <name> may have been born <date> <place>. Information should be checked.

Lists>Facts>Design New

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:35 PM

You can add another birth fact, or as many as you want, choose the one you like best and call it the PRIMARY.

Source each one, maybe give it a note of your take on it.
Alfred

#4 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:07 PM

I have only one birthdate fact for each person in my database. In the case of conflicting data, I either go with the best bet or use an estimate (c. 1889).

I add every census I find as another source for the birthdate. Even if I have, for example, a birth certificate, I still add each and every census. When adding the census sources, in Citation Details I type words to the effect of "Age 12. Born in Ohio." or "Age 12. Born Mar 1889 in Ohio", etc. depending on the information contained in that year's census.

One thing I especially like about RootsMagic is that when you click on the Fact Sources for the birthdate fact, you can see all sources, along with the citation texts. Thus, when I look at my Birthdate sources, I see something like this:

1860 Census Age 12.
1870 Census Age 22.
1880 Census Age 32.
1900 Census Age 52. Born Nov 1847.
etc.

This is different than the calculated age that shows on the facts page. What shows here is the age indicated on the census sheet itself. Which means, of course, that some of my people look more like this:

1860 Census Age 15
1870 Census Age 21
1880 Census Age 37
etc.

So far, this system has served me well. I would like to know if there is any particular advantage to adding more than one Birth facts. I haven't been doing it just because it looks tidier to only have one. If anyone has a good reason why I might want to have more, I'd be interested in hearing it.

#5 ttl

ttl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jun 1 2006, 08:35 PM) View Post

You can add another birth fact, or as many as you want, choose the one you like best and call it the PRIMARY.

Source each one, maybe give it a note of your take on it.

Thank to all for the various suggestions. I do want to indicate that sources give more than one birthdate and hence no one should be trusted -- I think I'll try this Alfred's method.