• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pammy

Pammy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:19 AM

Hi I have been using Roots Magic Version 2 and now have quite a big family tree and would like to print it out.

It is over 15 pages and every time I try to print it out it won't line up properly any ideas how to do this? smile.gif

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:29 PM

What report are you trying to print?
What is is that does not lign up properly?
What output are you trying? Screen/printer? PDF? TXT? or RTF?
Is your printer properly setup? -- How about the margins?
Alfred

#3 Pammy

Pammy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ May 21 2006, 07:29 PM) View Post

What report are you trying to print?
What is is that does not lign up properly?
What output are you trying? Screen/printer? PDF? TXT? or RTF?
Is your printer properly setup? -- How about the margins?

It is the Family Tree Chart, as far as I know I have the margins set up correctly but I will check. It doesn't line up properly on carrying over to each sheet so it becomes difficult to read

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 04:22 PM

What does RootsMagic call your "Family tree chart"?

I cannot seem to find one by that name anywhere in my reports menu so I have no idea how to help you.

Is it reports > Charts > box charts > ?
or: Reports > Charts > Wall Charts ?
OR, something else?

=======

I am sorry that I am letting my exasperation show? I think I need a long vactaion.
Alfred

#5 Pammy

Pammy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ May 21 2006, 11:22 PM) View Post

What does RootsMagic call your "Family tree chart"?

I cannot seem to find one by that name anywhere in my reports menu so I have no idea how to help you.
Is it reports > Charts > box charts > ?
or: Reports > Charts > Wall Charts ?
OR, something else?

=======

I am sorry that I am letting my exasperation show? I think I need a long vactaion.

Hi Alfred,

Sorry for delay in getting back to you. I have checked my reports menu and you are right it is in the Wall Chart (I call it a family tree chart sorry) I choose the option Descendant chart > top to bottom > then I choose create

From that report the Wall Chart is spread over 9 pages on a Landscape layout it when these pages are printed out that you are unable to line them up to read the chart properly.

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:27 PM

When you get the Wall Chart on the screen, click on View and choose to show the "Page Bounds."
That will show you where the boundries should be.

Now, in the File menu, choose "Page Setup" and set those margins to at least 0.1 each. that seems to fix the overlap for me.

My pages lign up just fine, it is just that when a box is split, there is a slight bit missing. Setting those margins in the Page Setup seems to fix that.

I like the chart, left to right or right to left better than the vertical charts. It makes the paste up more nearly square.

You can sometimes save a few sheets by changing the orientation in the RootsMagic Chart page setup.
Alfred

#7 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:37 PM

Have you tried printing in Portrait rather than Landscape to see if they line up better. Also make sure you have the latest printer driver for your printer.

#8 bazantil

bazantil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:59 AM

Hi, On the subject of printing on one page, I have a Dot Matrix printer so that I can print just one long tree, the settings on the printer are set to just print 1 page continuously but it still skips over the perforations. I have tried ticking and unticking the Page Bound thing but it doesn't make any difference.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks.

#9 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

I haven't used a dot matrix printer for years so I don't remember whether you can change the paper size to banner or not.

Try going to the printer setup, selecting Paper size and see if you can select something like that or continuous.
Alfred

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3501 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

You might have to click on Advanced Settings in the Printer Properties to find Roll or Continuous.

Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3501 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

I installed a very basic dot matrix printer driver, Epson LX-300, and it has Fanfold 8.5X12 as a Paper size option; that's what I would select along with landscape mode for banner printing. As I don't have a dot matrix printer, I cannot confirm that the settings work.

Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#12 bazantil

bazantil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for the replies, I had an Epson LX-300 previously and that kept skipping the perforations too, I upgraded to an OKI and was assured it would do it, I even went through the settings with the Oki technician this morning and they are set to the correct paper size and continuous, he suggested saving the tree in a different format ie pdf etc so that will be my next option I guess.

#13 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

See the earlier forum message here about saving your chart to PDF. First install a pseudo printer like CutePDF, select it as the default printer and set the paper size in the printer properties before opening the saved chart and printing it to PDF.

Virginia

#14 bazantil

bazantil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

Thanks Virginia I will give that a go.....

#15 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

Pammy -

There is a Ben Sayer (Genealogy Tools) video on youtube here showing how to print a RM3 wall chart to PDF. It uses the PrimoPDF pseudo printer but the procedure and result are the same as say CutePDF If you cannot set the paper size from within RM3 you can do it from the Windows Start menu Devices and Printers in the pdf printer's properties before opening your saved chart in RM.

Virginia