Multiple surnames

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Shopping_*

Guest_Shopping_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:50 PM

Does RM allow for multiple Spanish surnames, if so can someone describe to me how this
could be done?

Example : Juan Casas Rodriguez or Juan Casas de Rodriguez

I'm evaluating the 15-trial demo.

Thanks.

#2 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE(Shopping @ May 10 2006, 11:50 PM) View Post

Does RM allow for multiple Spanish surnames, if so can someone describe to me how this
could be done?

Thanks.

RM has 2 name fields; given name and surname. You would probably put Juan in the given name field and Casas Rodriguez in the surname field.

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:13 AM

. . . or were you possibly asking if you could enter two different names for a person?

If so, the answer is yes. Enter the one name as don describes (Juan as the given name and Casas Rodriguez as the surname) and then enter the second name as an Alt. Name fact for that person (Juan Casas de Rodriguez).

#4 Bob Bance

Bob Bance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE(Shopping @ May 10 2006, 09:50 PM) View Post

could be done?

Thanks.

Typically in the hispanic world, a name reflects a given name ( Juan) followed by the mother's surname ( Casas) and the father's surname. (Rodriguez). Sometimes the word "de" is placed between the surnames. In RM, I would keep the last name as the family surname. Some individuals choose to have them both, and do sign that way. For the program, it gets complicated, particularly when siblings -- male and female -- with strechted get married with others with stretched names. We are out of help, when the spelling changes for whatever reasons. By the way, the tendency of having both mother's and father's names is increasing in Canada, particularly with unmarried couple with children.
My advice use family name as surname, while naming mother's name as part of the given name.
Good luck
Bob.

#5 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:30 PM

I enter both surnames in the surname field, and have not had any problems whatsoever.

The only inconvenience is that the program defaults to the father's surnames when entering children. So, for example, each and every one of Juan Castro Rodriguez and Juana Lopez Solis's children will be given the default surnames of Castro Rodriguez, and the user must manually change Rodriguez to Lopez for each child entered. (As opposed to Family Tree Maker - in FTM, the user only has to change the surname for the first child, and all subsequent children will automatically be given the corrected surname.)

#6 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:04 PM

I'd like to bump this subject.

I'm still using FO 9.0 but am looking for a better program. One issue I have has to do with my wife's Basque ancestry. Those folks have the longest, most complicated (and unpronouncable) surnames on the planet.
For example:
Josepha de Zearsolo y de Yturrioz Arespacocha
was the daughter of Juan de Zearsolo and Maria de Yturrioz Arespagochaga
I've had to do various things, such as dropping the "de" and "y" and inventing punctuation to remind me which was the paternal part and which the maternal part.

I understand that the GEDCOM standard allows for surname prefixes and sufixes. The program I get will at least have to provide for a mark in the surname which says "start alphabetization here".
e.g. de /Zersolo
So that the names alphabetizes under Z rather than D. Since all 360 Basque names would be under D.

Don Newcomb

#7 Bernie

Bernie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE(Shopping @ May 10 2006, 10:50 PM) View Post

could be done?

Thanks.

I was informed by a Spanish relative that in the use of multiple surnames the first of the two is the father's surname and the second is the mother's surname. My sense of logic suggests that I should track persons in my database according to their male bloodlines. But I have no clue how to account for the practice of using two surnames in real life.