• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Herb Clark

Herb Clark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:32 PM

How can I enter Vietnamese symbols in spelling in RM? I have selected the Vietnamese language in Windows and it displays as I type but disapears when I go to another field.

#2 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(Herb Clark @ May 7 2006, 06:32 PM) View Post

How can I enter Vietnamese symbols in spelling in RM? I have selected the Vietnamese language in Windows and it displays as I type but disapears when I go to another field.

RM does not support the language. I think the only "foreign" characters that can be used are in the "character map" accessed from the note editor, name fields, or place fields by pressing Ctrl+T. Presently the "foreign characters" consist of mostly vowels with accent marks (samples , , , )

#3 peteki

peteki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE(Herb Clark @ May 7 2006, 04:32 PM) View Post

RootsMagic at present does not support unicode. Thus I cannot enter Thai names either. Bruce has not indicated when and if he will make RM unicode compatible. sorry. sad.gif

#4 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE(peteki @ May 11 2006, 09:18 PM) View Post

RootsMagic at present does not support unicode. Thus I cannot enter Thai names either. Bruce has not indicated when and if he will make RM unicode compatible. sorry. sad.gif

We will be making RM unicode compatible, but can't comment on the timeframe.

RootsMagician

#5 Bob Bance

Bob Bance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE(Herb Clark @ May 7 2006, 04:32 PM) View Post

[b]I suppose that if you can bring these symbols in Microsoft Word, using ALT + a combinaison of numbers from the keypad, you MAY be able to solve the problem. I know this works for foreign accents.. Good luck

Bob.*

#6 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE(Bob Bance @ May 12 2006, 02:40 PM) View Post

[b]I suppose that if you can bring these symbols in Microsoft Word, using ALT + a combinaison of numbers from the keypad, you MAY be able to solve the problem. I know this works for foreign accents.. Good luck

Bob.*

No, it will not work with the foreign language fonts. It only works for the foreign accents included in the character map provided by RM or ASCII characters (most of which are provided in the character map) using the ALT + combination

#7 Guest_Gregg_*

Guest_Gregg_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:30 AM

If you're listening Oh mighty Roots Magician, I'd like to add my name to the chorus requesting Unicode support. Awhile back I found a whole branch of the family in Russia; and now am faced with converting Cyrillic names and places to English. Im sure this would be worth a premium to a lot of users. By the way, great program thanks smile.gif

#8 bantal

bantal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(RootsMagician @ May 12 2006, 09:36 AM) View Post

We will be making RM unicode compatible, but can't comment on the timeframe.

Any time frame yet? I've Slovak names, places and sources that need to entered correctly.

Thank you,
Brenda

#9 ldsfriend

ldsfriend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:59 PM

Can I escalate the topic?
Just recently updated RM to the last version, and still have the same problem: My Cyrillic names from nFS go correctly to RM, but not contrariwise. When I want to update my nFS data from RM, all Cyrillic symbols become "question marks". If I want to update my German ancestors' names, all Umlauts disappear.
"Иван Васильев" --> "???? ????????"
"Jörg Külwander" --> "Jorg Kulwander"

What plans, thoughts or advices do you have concerning such cases?
Thank you.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8528 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:29 AM

Can I escalate the topic?
Just recently updated RM to the last version, and still have the same problem: My Cyrillic names from nFS go correctly to RM, but not contrariwise. When I want to update my nFS data from RM, all Cyrillic symbols become "question marks". If I want to update my German ancestors' names, all Umlauts disappear.
"Иван Васильев" --> "???? ????????"
"Jrg Klwander" --> "Jorg Kulwander"

What plans, thoughts or advices do you have concerning such cases?
Thank you.

This issue has been entered into our tracking system.

This question belongs in the RootsMagic New FamilySearch Forum. Please open a new thread there and make any response in that area.
http://forums.rootsm...milysearch-nfs/
Renee
RootsMagic