11 replies to this topic

#1 emdebee

emdebee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 07:29 AM

Can I ask people NOT to post here when they get their new copy.

It make us out in the sticks very upset mad.gif

I better duck, I think I am usurping Alfred's role. smile.gif

Thanks

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 09:03 AM

I would second the request for no bragging when you do receive RootsMagic 2. I should have Firsted it, on the RootsMagic-Users mail list, but I have no roll here to usurp. rolleyes.gif
Alfred

#3 Guest_Kenneth Smith_*

Guest_Kenneth Smith_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2004 - 11:37 AM

I would suggest another area then to discuss any installation or other questions users might have as they receive their Version 2.

It is unclear whether you are saying hold all questions for awhile or just bragging comments.

I mentioned just a few weeks ago about a downloading option and this is why I think it would be a better option than shipping. Everyone, no matter where they live could get a copy as they wish.

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 12:23 PM

I'd think bragging comments should be the ones withheld. Although they wouldn't bother me in the least, some people are sensitive to these things, so it would be the considerate thing to do.

However, the purpose of the boards is to assist people with the software, so it makes sense that any questions or comments about the software (other than boasting about receiving it) should be posted as soon as they arise.

#5 decann

decann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 12:55 PM

I rather doubt that it is possible (or even desirable) to keep it a secret when the some of us start to receive it, but hopefully there will be no installation problems (the only legitimate reason, IMHO) at least until the initial distribution arrives. Keep in mind, though, that not only do some folks live "in the sticks" (sorry, Alfred!), some also live on the other side of the world.

#6 emdebee

emdebee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:10 AM

I was only half joking when I posted the original message wink.gif .

If people have problems/queries, they, of course, should post messages.

#7 decann

decann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 01:24 PM

While we are all still waiting for RM2 to arrive, is there any consensus of the group on the need (or even desirability) to uninstall RM prior to installing RM2? I realize that it should (and normally does) install very nicely over the previous version, but I have always been taught that wherever feasible, it it usually best to remove the previous software before installing the next one. . . mainly for the sake of removing future possible conflicts with old unremoved software fragments or files.

Just a curious question while I wait rather impatiently for the nice lady in a USPS uniform to deliver my package, but if you value your genealogy nearly as much as I do, you would understand why I ask that question :~)

#8 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 01:39 PM

I've always felt comfortable installing over the previous release, so plan on continuing to do so. I don't think I've ever experienced a problem.

#9 diamondk

diamondk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 01:49 PM

I have no problem installing over the current version but I am going to keep a safe copy of the GEDCOM somewhere beside our hard disk.

#10 donlance

donlance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:30 PM

If you uninstall RootsMagic, what happens to your data? Is it wiped? Better make sure you keep a backup copy of your work before you do it...

#11 Patricia

Patricia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:48 PM

Your data stays exactly where you put it. It is not touched when you do an uninstall, but will be in the same directory where you currently have it. But it is always a good practice to backup your data before you do any uniinstall or install of the program. I would do it before uninstalling RM 1.04b or installling RM2.

#12 Guest_Jim_*

Guest_Jim_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2004 - 05:39 AM

I installed V2 in a new directory and it picked up the data from v1.04 without me doing anything. Good stuff.