• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BCooper

BCooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 01:35 PM

Is there any way to search and replace data in the facts descriptions other than editing them one at a time? I have numerious spellings and data that is wrong and needs updating. Example I use the Military fact description to identify my ancestors Civil War units. Thanks, Bernie Cooper

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 02:48 PM

You could go through the RootsMagic Explorer.

Find people, for example:
Military – Contains – Regm.

Then edit the ones found to “Regiment”

Or look for everyone with a military fact by searching for:
Military – contains – (leave the ‘Search for’ field blank)
(if the fact does not use the description, you have to look in the place or note field for nothing)

There is no spell check or search and replace for fact descriptions or places, but there is for notes and sources.

Alfred

#3 Catherine Hill

Catherine Hill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (BCooper @ May 17 2004, 12:35 PM)
Is there any way to search and replace data in the facts descriptions other than editing them one at a time? I have numerious spellings and data that is wrong and needs updating. Example I use the Military fact description to identify my ancestors Civil War units. Thanks, Bernie Cooper

rolleyes.gif RootsMagic Version 2
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME!!

The most wonderful feature of Version 1, for me, was being able, when adding new facts, to be able to write my own sentences. When realizing a mistake had been made, I was able to go back and change all my errors until things read as I wanted them to read.

Version 2 will not allow me to do the above. All the buttons have been deleted. I cannot even delete a fact that I do not like after putting it in.

PLEASE, PLEASE, give me back this wonderful feature from Version 1.

I am going to put back in Version 1 until I can find out how to do the above once again.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

CATHERINE HILL
spntotnr@shawneelink.net

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 06:13 PM

nothing has been removed.

It may have been moved a bit to protect the support staff from helping people who had been adding facts directly into the sentence structure and then wondering why everyone in the database has the same fact.

You can still see how the sentence will read when you are entering a fact.

If you change the sentence structure while entering a fact for John Doe, you are also changing it for everyone in the database.

It was impossible to get people to realize that, so the ability to changing the sentence structure from the personal data entry window has been removed.

If you need to edit the sentence structure, go to Lists > Fact type list and edit the fact sentence from there.

------
The "Delete Fact" is still on the edit person window. cool.gif
Alfred

#5 Catherine Hill

Catherine Hill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (Alfred @ May 29 2004, 05:13 PM)
nothing has been removed.

It may have been moved a bit to protect the support staff from helping people who had been adding facts directly into the sentence structure and then wondering why everyone in the database has the same fact.

You can still see how the sentence will read when you are entering a fact.

If you change the sentence structure while entering a fact for John Doe, you are also changing it for everyone in the database.

It was impossible to get people to realize that, so the ability to changing the sentence structure from the personal data entry window has been removed.

If you need to edit the sentence structure, go to Lists > Fact type list and edit the fact sentence from there.

------
The "Delete Fact" is still on the edit person window. cool.gif

rolleyes.gif
THANK YOU, ALFRED. IT WORKS BEAUTIFULLY.

Catherine Hill