Source Wizard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Russell_*

Guest_Russell_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:09 AM

Is there a general type available from the source wizard to create a source for an LDS ufilm.
My need is for a type that can be used for a film that has baptisms, etc., on it.
Russell

#2 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:30 AM

What you see in the Source Type pull-down list is what you get. If you don't see something in that list that you are looking for then it is not available.

If you are talking about a picture of a baptismal record or certficate on microfilm, then ...

Microfilm is not a source... it is a media format. The actual source is the baptismal record document. It might be the actual paper copy of the baptismal record, it might be a photocopy, or a digital image, or a picture of the baptismal record on microfilm.

For baptisms I would use "Baptismal Record" source type. In the Citation Details for the source I would enter the Film/Volume/Page Number information. This would identify it as a microfilmed copy of the baptismal record.

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:39 AM

I like "Book (compiled records)" as a generic source template. It has enough fields for most things and you can omit the ones you do not need. Then put the film or volume number and page in the citation details.
Alfred

#4 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 03:22 AM

I need help learning how all this works. Could someone guide me through this?

There is the tab for Source, which you can use Source Wizard to help you fill out, then there is the tab for Text, which includes both Actual Text and Comments, and then there is a tab for Repository, which asks for the Primary and Secondary repositories. In addition, you can click on Details, which asks for Film/Volume/Page in addition to asking (again?) for Actual Text and Comments. Help! What goes where?

Here ia an actual example. On Ancestry.com, there is a database which they call "York County, Pennsylvania, 1773-1901: Lischy's Reformed Church". When you search this database, you get the following information:

Father's name - Mother's name - Child's name - Date of Birth - Date of Baptism

Under that is the following:

Description:
Jacob Lischy, an immigrant from Switzerland, arrived in Philadelphia in 1742 and became a Reformed minister the following year. He served all of the Reformed congregations in York County at various times between 1745 and 1770. The late William J. Hinke translated Lischy's records from German to English in 1921 and again in 1941. His manuscript has been microfilmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. The records in this database span the years 1773-1901 and include the names of more than 6,700 individuals. For researchers of German immigrant ancestors who settled in Pennsylvania, this database can provide valuable vital statistics not available in other records.

Under that, it says:

Source Information:
Lineages, Inc., comp. York County, Pennsylvania, 1773-1901: Lischy's Reformed Church. [database online] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2000. Records transcribed from Family History Library microfilm copies of church records for this locality. For more information, see Family History Library Catalog (FHLC) #20351.

Based on the above information, how would I add a source for the child's birth and baptism in my database? What goes in source, what in details, what in repository, etc. Also, if I use Source Wizard, and call this a Baptismal record, do I just leave the part about Book, Title, and Entry blank? Or, since I haven't actually seen the Baptismal record itself, do I choose something else on Source Wizard? If so, what?

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:07 AM

When you add the first fact that references this source, add a NEW source:

Use something to identify "York County, Pennsylvania, 1773-1901: Lischy's Reformed Church" as the picklist name.
Personal file number is up to you.
Source Wizard:
--I would probably choose the WebPage
put "York County, Pennsylvania, 1773-1901: Lischy's Reformed Church" in as the title of the page
Ancestry.com as the owner,
The URL,
the Date accessed is include because the page may not be the same ten years down the road.
When You click OK, you can see how the three types or references show up.
Click OK again and you are taken to the "Edit Citation Details" window
Here you can enter the details for this fact, maybe the specific page URL and whatever actual text and comments you might have.

You do not get to see this Edit Citation Details window whenyou create a new source or edit one from the List > Source List menu. That is because that is a listing of the GENERAL source, not the individual citations

When you choose an existing source for a fact, you will get a chance to add or edit the citation details for that specific fact.
Alfred

#6 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for the reply, Alfred. What you suggest is almost identical to what I had been doing, so I guess I instinctively understood more than I thought I had.

What about the Repository? What, if anything would I put there? Would the church be the primary and the FHL be the secondary repository?

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:06 AM

From what I know of it, the Website would be the repository, unless you know the location and availability of the original book which has been copied to the website.

OR, if you make a hard copy of a large section of the web page and file it away, I suppose you could include your filecabinet as a secondary repositary. There is where the Personal File number might come in handy.

You know, all of the source information you provide is only to prove that you only copied it from somewhere else, and that you are not the originator of any possible fibs or mistakes. laugh.gif
Alfred