#1 Michael Jones

Michael Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:25 PM

Here's another thing I've been wondering about:

I've noticed some GEDCOMs online (at Rootsweb.com) that have a source indicated by footnote for the name of an individual. I can see how this would be useful to indicate that the name in your tree is supported with something like a birth certificate versus something like the US Census, or someone's sloppy handwriting from 300 years ago.

Is there a way to do this in RootsMagic? It seems to me the closest thing would be the general source option for a person --is there any way to be more specific and cite the source for someone's name?

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:10 PM

The Miscellaneous fact or a user defined fact could be used. If I used one of these fact, I would set the sort date to sort it right under the birth fact. I haven't explored what statement you would put in the description of the fact.

I suspose the Birth Fact could be used, but I would have to think more about using that fact.

At present, I put where I got the name in the General note and discuss any differences between sources. I put the source/sources in the General Source.

I haven't ever uploaded a gedcom to Rootsweb so I don't know if sources from the Miscellaneous fact or a user defined fact would show up.

Laura

#3 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:32 AM

Upon purchasing RootsMagic, I imported my database from Family Tree Maker. All my sources for the Name of the individuals in Family Tree Maker were converted by RootsMagic into general sources for the individual.

To be honest, I assumed that's what the individual's general Source tab was meant for. So, in addition to being interested in hearing from others as to where they put their Name sources in RootsMagic, I'd like to know what people are using the general Source tab for, if not for the name.

#4 Canyon Wolf

Canyon Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:40 PM

Perhaps you could add the "Alternate Name" fact for each name you have for the person (use the sort date so it shows right under the bith date) and use the source for that fact - but it may not look or sound right in reports. huh.gif

Canyon Wolf

#5 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:50 AM

I use the general source to tell me where I found the name of the individual and his/her parents. I found no better way to indicating where I found this person's parents names. So, my general individual source is used to tell me where I found names of parents. If I have no parents, I don't use that source listing until I find them.
JIM.B.NH