3 replies to this topic

#1 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:56 AM

I wanted to print out a list of all events occuring in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. The only options I could see were to print out ALL places in my database, or one individual place (such as Martic Twp., Lancaster, PA).

I ended up printing to file, listing ALL places, in reverse place name order. This created an 86-page report, in which all the Lancaster county events were grouped together (individually listed by town, but one after another, if that makes sense). Using the word processor, I then went in and deleted everything above and below the section of the report that had Lancaster county in it.

This really wasn't all that much trouble, and I did end up with exactly what I wanted. I just thought I'd check to see if maybe there isn't something I am missing. Is there another way to do this?

#2 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:35 AM

What you did is probably the most practical way of getting the data you needed. Like you said, it really isn't that much trouble. That's one reason why the program has a feature to send reports to a file. It gives you the flexibility of openting the report in a word processor and quickly and easily deleting unwanted data espeically when you can sort the place list in reverse geographical order.

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:38 AM

You did just what I have been trying for some time to tell people to do to get ALL events which happened in a particular area.

But you told it better.
Alfred

#4 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE(vlanders @ Mar 1 2006, 07:56 AM) View Post

I wanted to print out a list of all events occuring in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. The only options I could see were to print out ALL places in my database, or one individual place (such as Martic Twp., Lancaster, PA).

I ended up printing to file, listing ALL places, in reverse place name order. This created an 86-page report, in which all the Lancaster county events were grouped together (individually listed by town, but one after another, if that makes sense). Using the word processor, I then went in and deleted everything above and below the section of the report that had Lancaster county in it.

This really wasn't all that much trouble, and I did end up with exactly what I wanted. I just thought I'd check to see if maybe there isn't something I am missing. Is there another way to do this?

I added a dummy fact to my name with only a county and state for the place just to put an entry in the place list. I then generated a place list using my new entry wanting to list every event in that county no matter what the city. It did not give the hoped for results - only my dummy fact. I now know that doesn't work. Your solution may be the best so far.

Thinking back to a previous discussion on place names, the number of divisions, and order of entry; making RM intuitive in this matter may not be an easy task.
JohnG