3 replies to this topic

#1 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:32 PM

Hi, I have noticed a small oddity in the Narrative report. I'll try to explain it clearly.

If I have a person who has no birth fact, and has a number of other facts defined, but with no dates or places for any of the facts. Some facts are user-defined, some facts are standard.

When I print the Narrative descendant report, the user-defined facts print first, then the person's name in bold type. Then the standard facts will print after the person's name.

So, if I have a family where none of the kids had a birth fact, their name is not the first thing to print on their line (e.g. after the 1.1 on a D'Aboville report).

Is there a way to force it to print the person's name first after the 1.1 (or whatever). It seems to already do this for regular facts, but not for user-defined facts.

If I need to explain this more clearly, let me know!
Thanks,
Linda

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:17 PM

Before creating the report, clicck the "Format Options" button to the right of the generations box. Then, add at least <name> in the lower field where it says "Sentence template for people with no entered facts."

<name>, I have nothing else
or
<name> is all I know or now

might make things look better.

I do not understand why the user defined fact would show up first unless you have entered a sort date for it, or maybe it was just the first fact you entered. (Do you have a sentence template defined for this user defined fact? ) If not, go to the List menu, choose Fact type list, scroll to the fact and edit it, at the botom of the edit fact window, choose from the data fields at the right and enter a few conneting words.

Alfred

#3 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:18 AM

Alfred, thank you for your reply. I checked on the things you mentioned.

I already had <name> in the "Sentence template for people with no entered facts."

There are no sort dates entered.

The user-defined facts print first, whether or not they were the first fact listed.

I've tried to test this pretty thoroughly by doing variations, and it seems to happen only in the situation described in my first post. (No dates, no sort dates, no places, no birth fact, then user-defined facts print before the name on the narrative report).

Thanks,
Linda

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE(lmparks6838 @ Feb 28 2006, 10:18 AM) View Post

Alfred, thank you for your reply. I checked on the things you mentioned.

I already had <name> in the "Sentence template for people with no entered facts."

There are no sort dates entered.

The user-defined facts print first, whether or not they were the first fact listed.

I've tried to test this pretty thoroughly by doing variations, and it seems to happen only in the situation described in my first post. (No dates, no sort dates, no places, no birth fact, then user-defined facts print before the name on the narrative report).

Thanks,
Linda

I am having this same problem.

I am using V3.2 now, but I know it was there at least in 3.04a. When I found it, I was too busy with family health emergencies to pursue it. I don't print out Narrative reports very much right now so it slipped my mind.

I did one trial where I entered a new family and gave the father a Birth fact with no date or place, and a mix of user defined facts and standard facts with no dates or places.

His wife and children had no birth fact and no dates or places in the mixed facts.

The Narrative report printed fine.

I did another trial where I entered another new family and didn't enter a Birth fact for the father. He showed the user defined fact in front of his name. That time the children printed correctly.

I haven't done enough trials or enough repeat trials to say that these two trials will stay consistant.

However, I am finding that an already entered family doesn't print correctly unless I enter and leave in a birth date.

Exporting a gedcom and importing it into a new database doesn't help.

And packing the database doesn't help.

Laura