5 replies to this topic

#1 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:01 AM

I have jpg files of things like census pages, ship manifests, etc. and I am undecided as to where I should put them.

I could attach the file to the person in question's individual or family scrapbook. Or, I can link it to the relevant fact field. Or, I could attach the file to the Source Multimedia page.

What would be the pros and cons of each? I have read that attaching files to individual sources in FTM slows the program down considerably. Is the same true of RM?

What do others do? In fact, if someone could explain the purpose of the various Multimedia scrapbooks (Individual, Family, Fact, Source), I would appreciate it!

Thanks.

#2 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:18 AM

I think the answer to your question depends on how you plan to use that information. For me, I use these files for my own use and not at all often for sharing. So, I have established a subdirectory in Roots Magic called "Repository". I put those files there with unique names (often simply use the record number of the individual) and then make a note of the existence of such a file in that person's record. Whenever I do something like that (repository or use someone as a source) I always assign that person's record number as a reference number. If my record numbers ever change, the reference number won't. Anyway, that's how I deal with files I obtain or create.
JIM.B.NH

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:24 PM

FTM embeds the whole multimedia file within the program. Maybe, that is why it is slowed down a lot.

RM stores a link to the multimedia.

Marking photos as Primary may slow RM a little. How much depends a lot on your computer, I think. On my old Win 98SE system, I unmarked Primary. The speed problem there may have been the computer's hardware and not RM's. On my new Win XP laptop, it doesn't seem to make much difference.

However, to have a photo show up in some reports, it has to be marked as Primary.

I have all my pictures marked to show up in Scrapbooks. I mainly use the Scrapbooks to print out pictures to go with a printed Family Group Sheet or Narrative to give to family members who don't have a computer. I'm sure other people probably use them in other ways.

You can link one photo in as many places as you want, Individual, Family, Fact, Place and Source if you want to.

I link pictures of people and pictures that don't seem to fit anywhere else to the Individual.

I link one family picture to the Family in case I want to make a Family Group Sheet with that picture on top.

For census, tombstone, marriage, etc. photos, I link them to the Fact, Place, and Source.

I especially like to link fact photos to the place as I can go to Reports/Lists/Place List and get a list of photos that I have for a cemetery or census, etc. For instance, I can make a Place List for a cemetery, then make a custom report using a search for the Burial fact for that cemetery, and compare the two to see what other tombstone photos I need to take.

As JimB, says where you link photos depends on how you are going to use the information.

I often suggest having a database with a few people in it to try out different ways of working with RM without having to change the main database.

Laura

#4 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE(Laura @ Feb 25 2006, 04:24 PM) View Post

You can link one photo in as many places as you want, Individual, Family, Fact, Place and Source if you want to.

For census, tombstone, marriage, etc. photos, I link them to the Fact, Place, and Source.

I especially like to link fact photos to the place as I can go to Reports/Lists/Place List and get a list of photos that I have for a cemetery or census, etc. For instance, I can make a Place List for a cemetery, then make a custom report using a search for the Burial fact for that cemetery, and compare the two to see what other tombstone photos I need to take.

Laura,

Could you explain more about linking photos to a place? I'm not sure what you mean. I know how to link a photo to a Fact, and how to link it to a Source, but not how to link it to a place.

Thanks.

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:12 AM

If you choose Lists > Place List . . . , you should be able to edit a particular place. Within the multimedia tab, you'll then be able to add multimedia items, such as photos, etc.

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:18 PM

I was forgetting the we can now add multimedia to the Citation detail in RM3.2.

Add a fact source, edit detail, and click on the Multimedia button.

There aren't any reports for it yet.

I'm not sure just how I will make use of it.

Laura