• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Brock

Jerry Brock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:58 PM

What do most of you use? Burial with date and place such as Mt Olive Baptist Chruch Cemetery, Holmes County Florida or just list place as Holmes County, Florida.

Do you ever use the fact "Cemetery" and if so do you use place such as above? It appears that if you use both burial and cemetery the best way would be to use place with out the cemetery's name in the burial fact and in the cemetery fact use the cemetery name only in the descrition field and leave the place name blank.

Any comments, suggestions.

Jerry

#2 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE(Jerry Brock @ Feb 15 2006, 09:58 PM) View Post

What do most of you use? Burial with date and place such as Mt Olive Baptist Chruch Cemetery, Holmes County Florida or just list place as Holmes County, Florida.

Do you ever use the fact "Cemetery" and if so do you use place such as above? It appears that if you use both burial and cemetery the best way would be to use place with out the cemetery's name in the burial fact and in the cemetery fact use the cemetery name only in the descrition field and leave the place name blank.

Jerry

Jerry, I would use Mt Olive Baptist Chruch Cemetery, Holmes County Florida in the Burial fact.. I don't see a Cemetery fact in my listing - perhaps I missed something. Might it be a custom fact in your database?
JohnG

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:51 AM

Another couple threads are also currently actively addressing this issue.

Some would define the place as:

Mt. Olive Baptist Church Cemetery, ??City??, Holmes County, Florida, United States

Others would define it as:

??City??, Holmes County, Florida, United States

and include the cemetery name in the notes.

#4 kmurph38

kmurph38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:23 PM

I didn't like cemetery names showing up as places so I created my own fact called "Buried". It includes a date, place and description. The description field get the name of the cemetery.

#5 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 06:51 AM

I tried playing around with either adding the Cemetery as a Fact Note, or as the Description in a User-defined Fact, but I couldn't get either to do what I want it to do - which is, list out all people buried in a particular cemetery. The only way I could figure out how to do that was to include the cemetery name in the Place field.

I have the same problem with baptisms. The only way I could get a list of all persons baptised in a particular church, was to include the church name as part of the Place field. (Unless there is another way of getting the report I want which I don't know about.)

I need these two reports for when I go on field trips. If I'm in a town taking pictures of gravestones, I want to know beforehand which ancestor is in which cemetery. Not that I always know who is buried where, but I certainly don't want to waste time searching for an ancestor in one cemetery if my notes indicate he is buried in another. The same with baptisms in churches.

#6 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:02 AM

The situation you describe has been skirted when speaking of how to enter places. There are two issues here, to my mind. One is the name and the other is the place. Let me explain. If you research a family, sooner or later (probably sooner) you will find the basic info in more than one source. Let's say you find Francis Smith in one source and he was buried in Detroit Michigan. So, you enter that. Next source you find Joseph Frank Smyth and he is buried at Mount Olive Cemetery in Detroit. So, what to do? Well, if you enter Francis Smith as a name and then, when you cite the source, you go to "details" and enter the EXACT text you found; then do the same for the second source, you will have a record of where you got the different variations of the same info. You can either make the name Joseph Francis Smith and burial Detroit but by looking at the details (where it says "enter exact text") you see where the info came from. You might even enter an "Alternate Name" and use Frank Smyth with the source where you found that spelling with the details. I only wish I had started using this advice from the beginning. It has answered a lot of issues for me since I started. Now, you can search for people buried in Detroit without having to search each of it's cemeteries in a place list.
JIM.B.NH

#7 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE(Jim Belanger @ Mar 5 2006, 09:02 AM) View Post

Now, you can search for people buried in Detroit without having to search each of it's cemeteries in a place list.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I tried doing something like this, and I got a list of everyone buried in a particular city, but I couldn't figure out how to get the name of the cemeteries they were buried in on the report. How do you print your report?

Right now, I don't search for each cemetery. I use the technique I describe in an earlier post called "Places - Question about Reports". I end up with a very useful report that looks like this:

Pennsylvania, Lancaster, Lancaster, Cedar Lawn Cemetery
date, burial, name
date, burial, name
Pennsylvania, Lancaster, Lancaster, Conestoga Memorial Park
date, burial, name
Pennsylvania, Lancaster, Martic Twp., Muddy Run Presbyterian Church
date, burial, name
etc.

I like the report. The only problem, if you want to call it that, is that I have to put the cemetery name in the place field.

#8 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:27 AM

I guess I missed the part about you wanting that information in a report. Sorry I couldn't help.
JIM.B.NH

#9 jpejza

jpejza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:34 PM

[quote name='Jerry Brock' date='Feb 15 2006, 07:58 PM' post='11575']

Jerry
[/quote

I indicate where the burial took place (e.g., Plover, Portage Co., WI), and then put the name of the cemetery as a fact.

#10 PeggyF

PeggyF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE(vlanders @ Mar 5 2006, 05:51 AM) View Post

I tried playing around with either adding the Cemetery as a Fact Note, or as the Description in a User-defined Fact, but I couldn't get either to do what I want it to do - which is, list out all people buried in a particular cemetery. The only way I could figure out how to do that was to include the cemetery name in the Place field.

I have the same problem with baptisms. The only way I could get a list of all persons baptised in a particular church, was to include the church name as part of the Place field. (Unless there is another way of getting the report I want which I don't know about.)

I need these two reports for when I go on field trips. If I'm in a town taking pictures of gravestones, I want to know beforehand which ancestor is in which cemetery. Not that I always know who is buried where, but I certainly don't want to waste time searching for an ancestor in one cemetery if my notes indicate he is buried in another. The same with baptisms in churches.

This is a little complicated, but I think it will work.

I created a user defined fact - Cemetery will do. I made sure that this fact had a place for a description. I always enter the name of the cemetery in the description field, sometimes adding the grave location AFTER the name of the cemetery name. I also included place with this fact.

Now, if you run a Fact List report (Reports > Lists > Fact List), you can set the report to select all people with the fact type "Cemetery" and see a list of burials.

In order to make the list appear in order by the name of the cemetery, I export it to an Excel file (this is a a setting BEFORE you generate the report. I usually review the report on screen, then go back and export it as a text file, then open the text file in Excel.)

Then you can sort the entries by cemetery name and print off just the ones you want for a particular research trip.

Have a great trip!

Peggy Mosinger Freedman
www.solski.org

Peggy Mosinger Freedman

#11 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE(vlanders @ Mar 5 2006, 06:51 AM) View Post

Have you tried:
Reports > Lists > Individual list >
Selected People
> Facts (events) for each person - ives you a bit more than you might want,
? > spouses for each person, (In case the spouse may be there too but not listed as such in your database)
? > Children of each person (In case an infant or child may be in the same plot)
Select the output, send it to a file in case you want to edit it later

Create
Mark People
select people by datafields,

Burial place - contains -- The Cemetery, Sometown, Some county, Somestate
OR -- Burial place -- contains (a different spelling or format of the same place.)

Or, you could select by county as in:
Burial place -- contains -- County Name
AND -- Burial place -- contains -- State name

(that will work if you entered it as Clay, IL or Clay co., IL or Clay County, IL. but it will take a bit more work if you spelled out the state in some and used the abbreviation in others.) adding:
OR -- Burial place -- contains -- State abbreviation.
Might work
Alfred

#12 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Mar 8 2006, 12:14 PM) View Post

Have you tried:
Reports > Lists > Individual list >
etc. etc,

Oh, I like that! Especially adding spouse and children, so I can look for them, too. The only thing I didn't like was that it came out in alphabetical order by person, not by cemetery. But I can work with that when I edit the report manually. Or, report cemetery by cemetery.

Thanks for the tip.