8 replies to this topic

#1 KHemmelman

KHemmelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:16 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the persistence with an issue that I've had for some time. It's not listed in the items that were fixed by the 3.2 patch, but when I would generate a Wall Chart with photos included, many of the photos would be "mis-assigned" to the wrong person. This occured on every Ancestor or Descendant chart I would make if it included photos. Also, if I were to "copy - paste" items from one Wall Chart into another, the photos would get mis-assigned too. The 3.2 patch has fixed this pesky problem. I know I was one of only a few users that experienced this problem, so many thanks for keeping at it until it got fixed! This is a big fix for me and it is much appreciated. (Don't know if most RM users have tried this, but you can make some very nice charts by copying-pasting parts of one chart into another to combine various trees, etc. into one large wall chart giving you a chart that the program by itself cannot generate. You can make a very attractive "Ancestor - Descendant" chart of your parents this way.)

Also, adding the popup calendar is a nice touch! Most people don't find this useful or care about it, but I just can't help wanting to know what day certain events occured on while I'm looking at individuals.

And the FTM direct import is an excellent addition! Just like the popup calendar, this isn't something you'd expect to be included in a "patch" for a program since it's a pretty significant addition offering new functionality instead of just fixing bugs.

Bruce, bravo on this update and many thanks for all the hard work on this patch for RM 3.

Keith Hemmelman

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:35 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the persistence with an issue that I've had for some time. It's not listed in the items that were fixed by the 3.2 patch, but when I would generate a Wall Chart with photos included, many of the photos would be "mis-assigned" to the wrong person

The seventh item listed is:
Fixed problem with wrong pictures occasionally showing in wallcharts.

I too was happy to hear that this bug had been squashed.
Alfred

#3 KHemmelman

KHemmelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Feb 15 2006, 07:35 PM) View Post

The seventh item listed is:

Oops! I think it might be time to get new bifocals! blink.gif

Regardless, this little bug has been around a long time and only affected a very few users. I'm quite pleased with Bruce's persistence in not giving up on this.

#4 PeggyF

PeggyF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:33 AM

I am unable to download the RootsMagic 3.2 patch.

I have RootsMagic 3.04 in my Program Files folder on my C drive. I have tried to download the patch using both FireFox and Internet Explorer. I have tried saving it to my hard drive and opening it from the internet.

No matter what I do, I get the error message:
The drive or UNC share you selected does not exist or is not accessible. Please select another.

I'd be glad to select another, but I don't have any idea how or where to do that!

Any advice? Thank you very much!

Peggy Freedman

PS The only other thing that I can think of that might effect this is that I removed two users from my Windows XP set up--I had originally set the computer up with four users--me and my kids, and I removed two of the kids as they have graduated and left home. I don't think that should make any difference, but since I don't know what a "UNC share" is, I thought I should mention it.
Peggy Mosinger Freedman

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:44 AM

I have figured out the problem, but am still stuck on the solution.

I downloaded RM to a thumb drive so that I could take it with me on a vacation. (Every trip is a research opportunity <G>) The update must look for the last drive that the software was downloaded onto, and will only update that. I need to update the current installation on the C drive--this is the one that I use regularly.

Is there an easy way to reset the location that the update looks for?

Thanks.

Peggy Freedman

#6 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 21 2006, 07:44 AM) View Post

I have figured out the problem, but am still stuck on the solution.
I downloaded RM to a thumb drive so that I could take it with me on a vacation. (Every trip is a research opportunity <G>) The update must look for the last drive that the software was downloaded onto, and will only update that. I need to update the current installation on the C drive--this is the one that I use regularly.
Is there an easy way to reset the location that the update looks for?

Peggy Freedman

Yes, just simply reinstall RM over the existing installation on your hard drive. If you reinstall 3.x from an installation CD then you will be able (and will need to) apply the 3.2 patch. If you reinstall by downloading RM from the rootsmagic website, then that should be version 3.2 so you won't need to apply the 3.2 patch.

#7 PeggyF

PeggyF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:03 AM

Thanks Allan, that took care of it!
Peggy
Peggy Mosinger Freedman

#8 Guest_craigg_*

Guest_craigg_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:50 PM

I would hope that Bruce makes the necessary changes in the upgrade installation process to ask where the version of RootsMagic is located that is to be updated, or to do a search for versons and ask which one is to be updated.

#9 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(KHemmelman @ Feb 15 2006, 07:16 PM) View Post

Just wanted to say thanks for the persistence with an issue that I've had for some time. It's not listed in the items that were fixed by the 3.2 patch, but when I would generate a Wall Chart with photos included, many of the photos would be "mis-assigned" to the wrong person. This occured on every Ancestor or Descendant chart I would make if it included photos. Also, if I were to "copy - paste" items from one Wall Chart into another, the photos would get mis-assigned too. The 3.2 patch has fixed this pesky problem. I know I was one of only a few users that experienced this problem, so many thanks for keeping at it until it got fixed! This is a big fix for me and it is much appreciated. (Don't know if most RM users have tried this, but you can make some very nice charts by copying-pasting parts of one chart into another to combine various trees, etc. into one large wall chart giving you a chart that the program by itself cannot generate. You can make a very attractive "Ancestor - Descendant" chart of your parents this way.)

Also, adding the popup calendar is a nice touch! Most people don't find this useful or care about it, but I just can't help wanting to know what day certain events occured on while I'm looking at individuals.

And the FTM direct import is an excellent addition! Just like the popup calendar, this isn't something you'd expect to be included in a "patch" for a program since it's a pretty significant addition offering new functionality instead of just fixing bugs.

Bruce, bravo on this update and many thanks for all the hard work on this patch for RM 3.

Keith Hemmelman

I wanted to second these thanks to Bruce! I was one of the other users having a major problem with this small glitch with the photos in wall charts. I'm sure it was a bugger to find what was causing it.

I also loooove the new calendar!!

Thanks
Linda