Photo

Where is PlaceFinder when you need it most?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 miguelk

miguelk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:01 PM

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't seem to get access to PlaceFinder when I need it most - that is, in the midst of adding or editing a fact. When I'm entering or editing the name of a town, I need to look up the corresponding county name. But to do so from PlaceFinder, I must "exit" the editing process, get back to a Family/Pedigree/Descendants view, look up the county in PlaceFinder, then work my way back to the point where I had left.

Is there a more direct way to use PlaceFinder while editing or entering place data?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:09 PM

Place Finder is a seperate program which you can open from the Windows start menu any time. you do not have to close what you are doing in RootsMagic to click it's shortcut on the RootsMagic toolbar.

Once it is open, you can click on it's name in the taskbar and use it to look up and/or copy some place to the RootsMagic field.
Alfred

#3 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:18 PM

Put a shortcut to Place Finder on the desktop.

#4 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:59 AM

Alfred, you never cease to amaze me! But, that isn't hard sometimes.
I solved this problem of Place Finder by placing a shortcut in my Quick Launch area which is always visible. I also have a shortcut there for "View Desktop" so I can go to the desktop and launch any other program without interrupting my Roots Magic session.

BUT
I never saw that Place Finder icon in the Roots Magic Tookbar!!! DAH!
JIM.B.NH

#5 wskillman

wskillman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

I have had RootsMagic from version 1 to 5 and have used Place Finder frequently. However, I recently purchased a computer running Windows 7 and copied my RootsMagic folders for RM3,4,5 to C:. RM5 ran flawlessly. However, when I open Place Finder from placedb.exe and click on Search, a box comes up saying that Search does not work in this Demo version. Is there some other file I need to copy, maybe from C:\Windows, that will activate Place Finder? I tried to update RM3 but it said I didn't have RM3 installed so couldn't continue updating.

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

I have had RootsMagic from version 1 to 5 and have used Place Finder frequently. However, I recently purchased a computer running Windows 7 and copied my RootsMagic folders for RM3,4,5 to C:. RM5 ran flawlessly. However, when I open Place Finder from placedb.exe and click on Search, a box comes up saying that Search does not work in this Demo version. Is there some other file I need to copy, maybe from C:\Windows, that will activate Place Finder? I tried to update RM3 but it said I didn't have RM3 installed so couldn't continue updating.

PlaceFinder (placedb.exe) also needs:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\RootsMagic Shared\PlaceDB (folder)
and
C:\Program Files\Common Files\RootsMagic Shared\PlaceDB\PlaceDB.dat (file)

Suggest if you want your earlier versions of RootsMagic to run properly that you download the full installers:

http://rootsmagic.co...tes/RootsMagic/ (bottom of page)

and install directly to the folders you have them in now under Windows 7 (product keys will be needed)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

I copied the 3 Place Finder files into a new folder and created my shortcut to the exe. file in that folder.

I can delete RM3 from my hard drive and still have Place Finder.

Although, I seldom use that program now, It still comes in handy once in a while.

#8 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

Alfred, you never cease to amaze me!

Well, he is the Amazing Alfred

But, that isn't hard sometimes.

Me neither! :wacko:

I solved this problem of Place Finder by placing a shortcut in my Quick Launch area which is always visible. I also have a shortcut there for "View Desktop" so I can go to the desktop and launch any other program without interrupting my Roots Magic session.

Can you take the mouse way over to the right edge to select "Show Desk"? Or will that somehow interrupt your session, 'tho I can't think of any reason it should.

BUTI never saw that Place Finder icon in the Roots Magic Tookbar!!! DAH!

Maybe the Magician snuck in and took it! :lol:

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

Glenn, it is just quicker and smoother to open Word Finder from the Quick launch toolbar than it is to access the Desktop and hunt and click on the Word Finder icon.

#10 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

Glenn, it is just quicker and smoother to open Word Finder from the Quick launch toolbar than it is to access the Desktop and hunt and click on the Word Finder icon.

OOPS! My brain short-circuited again! I focused so much on desktop that I forgot the place finder. :o

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn