6 replies to this topic

#1 miguelk

miguelk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:25 PM

When I Edit -> Family -> Relationship to describe a child as a stepchild, RM automatically defines the step relationship with both parents, but that does not reflect the real world. When a parent remarries, his/her children from the previous marriage become stepchildren ONLY to the new spouse. With the adoption relationship, RM correctly allows one to define the adoption by both parents, or father only, or mother only. If the case of a steprelationship, the choices should be stepchild of father, or stepchild of mother (not automatically both, as is currently the case).

Note: a recent Message that I posted on the Board shows that a number of other RM users support this "fix"

#2 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:54 PM

I would like to second (third and fourth, if it helps) this suggestion. I also addressed this earlier. Please see Adopted/Step/Birth Combinations posted September 12. Thanks I hope this helps
JohnG

#3 Guest_craigg_*

Guest_craigg_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:14 PM

I also think that it would be a good enhancement. Treatment of step children, adopted children, and foster children, needs to be enhanced in the data entry process, and then it needs to be properly reported in reports.

#4 pab233

pab233

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

I would also like to support the inclusion of this feature.

As a child with unknown father, but with a step-father, I would like to show this relationship clearly on my tree so that it is obvious that I was only the step-child of my step-father and not my mother. Currently the system shows me as step-child of both.

#5 JenC

JenC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE(miguelk @ Jan 26 2006, 08:25 AM) View Post

When I Edit -> Family -> Relationship to describe a child as a stepchild, RM automatically defines the step relationship with both parents, but that does not reflect the real world. When a parent remarries, his/her children from the previous marriage become stepchildren ONLY to the new spouse. With the adoption relationship, RM correctly allows one to define the adoption by both parents, or father only, or mother only. If the case of a steprelationship, the choices should be stepchild of father, or stepchild of mother (not automatically both, as is currently the case).

Note: a recent Message that I posted on the Board shows that a number of other RM users support this "fix"

I agree. As a new user of RM and switching from Legacy, I was disappointed to see that stepchildren could not be shown to be the stepchild of one parent sad.gif

#6 Guest_Jackson_*

Guest_Jackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:59 AM

I will throw my vote in for this also, can't happen soon enough. In our modern world it's becoming more of a necessity than a wish.

#7 Pez

Pez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 03:53 AM

I'm confused by this. I can see the Relationship button in the Edit Family dialog and I can see that it is behaving in the way you all describe. But in that case I don't really understand why that button is there at all, and I don't understand how you are all seeing the child appear at all in the list of a step-parent relationship in the first place.. - surely if you've set up the family correctly, the child should only appear under its BIRTH parents?

For example Male A marries Female B and produces Child C. Then Male A later remarries, to Female D, and you set her up as an additional spouse. When you display Male A there should now be a 'other spouses' button appearing above his name; select that and choose the other wife, and the child will disappear from the list. Child C will only appear in the Children list as long as both Male A and Female B are in the Father and Mother fields.

Are you doing something different?