No dates in Search page

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:44 AM

I have a weird problem.
I imported my database from PAF to Rootsmagic with no problems except ...
in the left pane of the 'Search' screen there are no dates in the 'born' column
even though all the dates are shown correctly in the upper right pane of the same screen.
New people entered have their dates correctly shown in both panes OK.

Now, here's the weird bit,
If the highlighted person in 'search' has a birthdate but it's not shown in the left pane,
If I click on 'photo' and then immediately click 'cancel', their dates suddenly appear !
But as I have over 6500 names in my database I certainly don't want to resort to that method,
So, does anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem easily ?
It's obviously something I can live with, but it would be nice to get the program working as it should.

Thanks,
Tony.

#2 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:20 AM

You imported from PAF to RM. Did you create a GedCom first and then import that? I sounds like a problem with RM not recognizing the field placement. I am no expert and I'm sure one will pop up here to help but it sounds like a GedCom problem more than an RM problem.
JIM.B.NH

#3 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE(Tony @ Jan 19 2006, 04:44 AM) View Post

I have a weird problem.
I imported my database from PAF to Rootsmagic with no problems except ...
in the left pane of the 'Search' screen there are no dates in the 'born' column
even though all the dates are shown correctly in the upper right pane of the same screen.
New people entered have their dates correctly shown in both panes OK.

Now, here's the weird bit,
If the highlighted person in 'search' has a birthdate but it's not shown in the left pane,
If I click on 'photo' and then immediately click 'cancel', their dates suddenly appear !
But as I have over 6500 names in my database I certainly don't want to resort to that method,
So, does anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem easily ?
It's obviously something I can live with, but it would be nice to get the program working as it should.

Thanks,
Tony.

That's interesting. I see the problem you describe when I create a new database by going to FILE > IMPORT > PAF Database. The resulting database is missing birth and death dates in RM Explorer. If I go into the EDIT PERSON screen or, as you said, go into their scrapbook, then return to RM explorer, the dates for these individuals appear. The other people are still missing their birth and death dates though.

I rebuilt all indexes and packed the database but this did not fix the problem.

I don't see the problem when creating the database via import of a PAF GEDCOM file. So, it's not a GEDCOM issue.

Maybe we have a bug in the PAF import/conversion feature.

#4 Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:31 AM

Thanks Jim,
That was the problem, as you and Allan pointed out I was using IMPORT > PAF Database
Converting it all to a Ged file and re-importing has cured it all.
Still a weird effect though ....
Tony.

#5 whiskaers

whiskaers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

I have the same problem in RM6 with missing dates in RM Explorer but they are listed in Individual information window. Clicking edit and removing & reinserting a portion of the date causes it to show up in RM Explorer. I have been using RM since it was Parsons Family Origins, so it is not a problem of importing a GEDCOM or PAF database, I do not use PAF. This does not apply to all dates and persons, but enough to make it irritating. Anyone have a solution?

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3503 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

In RM6, File > Database Tools > Rebuild Indexes. It not only regenerates the database indexes but also updates the Born and Died values from the preferred facts.

Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.