dry.gif

#22 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:09 AM

I don't know if this will help anyone that is locking up figure out what is happening, but this is a repeat of a post I made in January. I never have a lockup on my Win 98SE machine any more. I have since bought a laptop with Home XP and have never had a lockup.

Hi All,

Like some other people, I have been having trouble with RM locking up when I do extensive work especially merging.. I have Win98SE on my computer.

Yesterday, I deleted Norton Anti Virus 2005 and the Norton Personal Firewall 2005 which I had bought and installed seperately and installed Norton Internet Security 2005 Upgrade.

Today, I did the stupid thing and didn't backup my database before dragging and dropping too many people from my cousin's database into mine. So, I had a lot of merging to do. I was doing the merging one person at a time as I had some clean up to do on the facts in some of the records.

To my surprise, my computer didn't lock up after just a few merges. I did about 30 people and didn't lock up where before I might get 5 merges done.

I don't know whether there was a problem in the installation of the two separate programs, or a difference in settings between them and Internet Security, or just why the lockup on RM was fixed.

I removed the two separate programs before installing Internet Security. I didn't change any default settings on Internet Security except go to Personal Firewall/Configuring/Programs/ Program Scan, Select All/Add/Next. I don't know whether this would make a change in the lookup

I believe someone earlier had posted that they thought Norton might be a factor in the lockups.

In my case, it seems they are right.

I hope this helps someone that is more computer savvy than I am figure out what is going on.

Laura

#23 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE(Guest_PFG_* @ Mar 31 2006, 02:45 PM) View Post

java script:emoticon(':D', 'smid_4')
biggrin.gif
You will find Clearing the HISTORY every now and then depending on amout of work will stop this happerning, I have not had any problems since doing this on large sesions.
Regards
PFG

What "history" is this referring to? Is there a history in RM that I've never noticed?

Thanks,
Linda

#24 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE(lmparks6838 @ Apr 5 2006, 12:51 PM) View Post

What "history" is this referring to? Is there a history in RM that I've never noticed?

Thanks,
Linda

Go to Search/History.

The history list is cleared when RM is closed. Or you can clear it yourself.

You can also customize your toolbar and add the History button to it.

Laura

#25 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE(lmparks6838 @ Apr 5 2006, 01:51 PM) View Post

Thanks,
Linda

I believe the history referred to is the History folder which stores links to pages you have visited on the internet, for quick access to recently viewed pages. This can add up quickly if you view a lot of pages and become a burden on your resources. If you are using Internet Explorer, right click on it and this will give you the INternet Properties menu, near the bottom of this menu you will see History. Here you can set the number of days to keep pages in history and/or clear History.