19 replies to this topic

#1 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 10:16 AM

I would like to have a calendar located on the Tools menu. Sometimes I'm just trying to figure out when something happened, not actually entering a fact. Unless I'm missing something, I think that I have top open up a fact dialog to get the calendar, right?

Thanks!
Linda

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:33 PM

Click on Report and the Calendar is on that menu.

Laura

#3 Guest_craigg_*

Guest_craigg_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:28 PM

The calendar in the reports menu is a report not the same as the calendar that is in the fact window.

#4 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Nov 14 2005, 02:33 PM)
Click on Report and the Calendar is on that menu.

Laura

View Post

I never noticed that calendar there before! However, Craigg is right, it's not what I was thinking of. Frequently, I want to figure out what day of the week something happened on, and that is really easy to do when you've got a fact dialog open. However, I don't want to have to open a dialog to get that function.

Thanks!
Linda

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:40 PM

Linda, how to you think a new calendar should work?

Maybe I'm just not thinking out of the box today, but I can't see why the Reports/Calendar doesn't do what is needed and as easily as the Edit fact calendar..

The calendar on the edit fact screen is mainly designed to use the date in the fact date field. But it is awkward to change the months and year for an unrelated date with just the arrows. And if you type just any date into the date field, you take the chance of forgetting to delete it as I have done.

In the calender on the Reports menu, you select the month and year and hit create, look at the day of the month, find the day of the week and close it out.

I can't see that it matters that it is a calender report. If you don't want to see anything but a blank calender, uncheck the selections for a report and leave it that way until you actually want to make a report [which is what I do].

Of course, it might be nice to have a Calendar button for the toolbar that would open the Reports/Calendar directly.

Laura

#6 wleague

wleague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:35 PM

Having a calendar on the windows quick launch bar at the bottom of the screen is just as good as having one in the RM tool bar would be. And you can get a really good genealogist's calendar for free by going here:

http://octhygesen.ho...dk/EngDage.html

You could have it up and running in five minutes. Compare that with waiting for the next patch/upgrade to see if Bruce might put one in.

Wayne

#7 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 10:03 PM

Laura -- thank you! I get it now! Yes, the Reports calendar does do what I want it to. A calendar toolbar button would be cool though.

Wayne -- thanks for your reply. Do you run Windows XP, and is this freeware compatible (i.e. not caused any strange problems)? I ask, because it seems every time I download freeware lately, I end up having to do a system restore to get my system back to normal. I'm a little more wary than I used to be!

Thanks!
Linda

#8 wleague

wleague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(lmparks6838 @ Nov 15 2005, 09:03 PM)
Wayne -- thanks for your reply. Do you run Windows XP, and is this freeware compatible (i.e. not caused any strange problems)?  I ask, because it seems every time I download freeware lately, I end up having to do a system restore to get my system back to normal. I'm a little more wary than I used to be!

View Post

Yes, I'm running Windows XP and I've been using the "days" genealogists calendar for several years now - on WinXP and earlier on Win98 - with no problems. It's only a small program and should give you no trouble.

It is a Danish program and will navigate and convert dates between the Julian, Gregorian and the French Republican calendars.

wayne

#9 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:43 AM

Wayne, the Days program works great -- thanks! I put it on my quicklaunch.

#10 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:57 AM

With the RootsMagic calendar, it would be nice if the calendar could:

1) "Save as" AFTER you have viewed the calendar in the print mode. You need to choose Print to Acrobat pdf file BEFORE selecting people. If you forget to do this, and then select a bunch of people, it goes shooting off to the print screen already without another option of sending/saving the calendar as a pdf file.

2) Save your selections (without sending to Acrobat pdf) so that you can add a name or two later. When you're viewing the calendar and you notice you forgot someone, you can't just go back and add that person, you have to start all over selecting people. If you could have saved the selections, you could just go back to your saved selections and they'd be there waiting.

3) Have a "back" option from the print screen to go back to the people selection screen.

4) Choose not to have middle names print

5) Choose to have only first names print

6) Choose not to print any ex-husbands (when a divorce date is entered) without having to deselect them. I made sure the box was cleared where it said to include divorced marriages, but it included the birthdates of a some ex-spouses anyway, because I had chosen descendants of a person, including spouses. You should be able to choose just the current spouse.

7) Type inside the calendar to add other information like holidays/events, after you have saved the calendar as a pdf file.

8) Put a space (a blank line) between unrelated events that appear on the same date. If a birthday and an anniversary are on the same date, there is no space between them on the calendar, which makes it hard to read.

~ Debbie

#11 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:32 AM

For selecting people to include. Use the color code, it will remain while you check out the report in the screen/printer vies.

Then for the calendar, Select people by datafield, color code it Red or whatever.
Alfred

#12 KHemmelman

KHemmelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:43 PM

Having a Popup Calendar on the main RM toolbar is one of the things I've posted in my wishlist for RM too. The Reports Calendar is not a functional thing when it comes to why you would want a popup calendar. You have to run a report for each and every month/year you might want to look at. That's too inconvenient. And to use the Calendar button while editing a person, you have to first 'edit the person', then 'edit the fact' then click the 'calendar' button and then you can scroll through the dates in the little popup calendar and then you have to remember to click the cancel' button when you're done browsing so you don't inadvertantly change the date you were looking at. Thus, that calendar feature too is simply too inconvenient to use for something as simply as seeing what day of the week a particular date fell on.

The Legacy genealogy program has exactly what I'd like RM to have. A simple, yet functional popup calendar to very quickly & easily browse dates for no other purpose than to look at them. I don't want to print a report and I don't want to enter data. I simply want to look at it in a quick and efficient manner and then close it. This isn't possible to do in RM and since this is the wish list forum, I think the original poster's idea of adding a calendar like this is a valid request since RM doesn't have this ability.

The below links show the popup calendar in Legacy. In RM while I'm simply browsing individuals in either the "Pedigree", "Family", or "Descendant" view, I can see the dates for "Birth", "Marriage", and "Death". I don't have to edit these individuals to see this info since it is right there in front of me to see. I could then click the calendar button to popup the calendar and scroll through the months/years and see that my parents were married on a Sunday and that their upcoming 50th Wedding anniversary falls on a Saturday in all of about 5 seconds. Currently in RM, I'd have to leave the main screen and run multiple reports to do this and that isn't what I want to do. I guess maybe I'm just not thinking outside the box tonight because I can't see why anyone would want to run a report to do this when a popup calendar is infinately easier to use. The reports function in RM are designed for printing and not as a utility type tool such as this so why wouldn't people want this type of tool in RM to use?

http://pie.midco.net...logy/Image1.gif

http://pie.midco.net...logy/Image2.gif

http://pie.midco.net...logy/Image3.gif

#13 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:23 AM

KHemmelman -- that is EXACTLY what I would like! Thanks for the screen-shots. Having the whole year shown at a time would be great! I think it's neat that they have the month, year, and calculator calendars all in one spot.

Now that I've seen those screen-shots, I want to put ten exclamation points next to my original request!

Linda

#14 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Nov 16 2005, 12:32 PM)
For selecting people to include. Use the color code, it will remain while you check out the report in the screen/printer vies.

Then for the calendar, Select people by datafield, color code it Red or whatever.

View Post

Color coding people took a lot longer to do than to choose them right away while creating a calendar. I had to uncolor some of them because they were previously colored red.

So, now I have my calendar people color-coded green. Other people I still have color-coded red for a different reason. Does this matter if I have 2 different groups of color-coded people, in order to create the calendar?

After color-coding my people green for the calendar, I went to Reports / Calendar and tried to find the place where I could select all my green people. I could not see where this is found. Can you give step-by-step instructions?

Thanks!

P.S. I hope the Wish List people have read my previous post in which I suggested 8 things I think would be nice to have on the RootsMagic calendar. I should have submitted my previous post as a new topic.

~ Debbie

#15 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:21 PM

For a simple calendar utility that you can use while leaving your RootsMagic screen intact...

Double-click the -=TIME=- (Windows clock) shown in the Windows System Tray (lower right-hand portion of the Windows task bar). Quick to open, use and close.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#16 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Nov 17 2005, 02:21 PM)
For a simple calendar utility that you can use while leaving your RootsMagic screen intact...

Double-click the -=TIME=- (Windows clock) shown in the Windows System Tray (lower right-hand portion of the Windows task bar). Quick to open, use and close.

View Post

I tried this (who knew that was there??), but it seems to go back only to 1980 before switching to 2099. Am I right with this?

Thanks,
Linda

#17 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:11 PM

Yes, it only works for years between 1980 and 2099.
Alfred

#18 Rich Larsen

Rich Larsen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE(wleague @ Nov 15 2005, 09:25 PM) View Post

Yes, I'm running Windows XP and I've been using the "days" genealogists calendar for several years now - on WinXP and earlier on Win98 - with no problems. It's only a small program and should give you no trouble.

It is a Danish program and will navigate and convert dates between the Julian, Gregorian and the French Republican calendars.

wayne

I know this is old but I just stumbled across a bunch of history all recorded in Julian Calandar dates. I have searched for this "days" genealogists calendar with no success. Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Rich

#19 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE(Rich Larsen @ Mar 1 2007, 08:52 PM) View Post

I know this is old but I just stumbled across a bunch of history all recorded in Julian Calandar dates. I have searched for this "days" genealogists calendar with no success. Could you point me in the right direction?
Thanks, Rich

Here you go, Rich ...

http://www.embla.no/...ge00000052.html

#20 Rich Larsen

Rich Larsen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE(Ludlow Bay @ Mar 1 2007, 10:02 PM) View Post

Thank you very much! How do you folks handle Julian dates? For instance, a birth date that I have is 8m-3-1694. Most records of this that I have seen translate this to be 3 Aug 1694 but I don't think that would be correct. The book that these dates comes from insists that you should not change the format, but any program I have seen does not support this format. So I could use some advice from you folks that know much more than I .

Thanks for any help,

Rich