• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tcloud

tcloud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:54 PM

Specifically, I color Living individuals. That helps me be aware whether an individual will be shown on the website. But, when I change that fact, the I have to manually change the color.

Perhaps some sort of logic templace for certain types of conditions could be assigned a color?

#2 Ken M

Ken M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:16 PM

YES! I agree. I use color to indicate direct ancestors. When I add a new ancestor to the database, the color coding does not show on the new person. I have to go back and redefine the color coding - only then is the new person correctly color coded.

Please consider "Active Color Coding." When you add a new person that meets the current color coding criteria, it color codes the new person immediately.

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:05 AM

It would be nice if this request could be integrated with the introduction of dynamic groups, which may eventually be coming. See response #13 (as well as some of the earlier posts) within the following linked page from the RM blog:

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=169

Maintaining a particular color within a named dynamic group would be very helpful.

#4 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:48 AM

From the mailing list:
Many... [users] ...use color coding for more than tracing an ancestral line. An automatic generation of color coding would be detrimental and incorrect.

Typical non-ancestral usage includes notations of data errors, missing information, no issue or dead end lines, which family in the case of multiple marriages, religion, country of residence, and many more types and functions.

Color coding is a tool provided for our use. It was not designed for limited usage of tracing ancestral lines, but a totally flexible tool for usage for whatever purpose is desired.

Any new automatic function would require some sort of setting so that it could be turned off when that is not the desired operation by users who use color coding for other purposes.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#5 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:02 PM

Maintaining a particular color within a named dynamic group would be very helpful. I have only used color coding individually to color my dad's brothers and their wives who were sisters. Would that constitute a"dynamic group" and how do I put these four persons into it? I also have one other set of siblings marrying siblings, but I could take care of them after "becoming proficient" wink.gif in dynamic groups by practicing with my aunts and uncles.

Cheers, Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#6 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(Glenn @ May 4 2009, 01:02 PM) View Post

Maintaining a particular color within a named dynamic group would be very helpful. I have only used color coding individually to color my dad's brothers and their wives who were sisters. Would that constitute a"dynamic group" and how do I put these four persons into it? I also have one other set of siblings marrying siblings, but I could take care of them after "becoming proficient" wink.gif in dynamic groups by practicing with my aunts and uncles.

Cheers, Glenn

Another color coding concept that might be interesting would be a "lock" on color codes that already exist. As it exists now, if you color code ancestors or descendents and then color code another group, the last set overwrites the first set if they intersect. Clear all colors would still work as it does now.

I think this would be useful in generating complex coding for use on wall charts. Imagine someone with multiple spouses. Code the descendents of each spouse a different color. But if cousins marry, the last color operation will supercede earlier attempts.