Shareable CD

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_John Pejza_*

Guest_John Pejza_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:49 PM

I can't find any way of creating a shareable CD, as was advertised for RM3.

#2 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 08:04 PM

From the toolbar menu at the top of your screen:

TOOLS > CREATE A SHAREABLE CD

#3 Guest_John Pejza_*

Guest_John Pejza_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE(aplucinik @ Sep 7 2005, 07:04 PM)
From the toolbar menu at the top of your screen:

TOOLS > CREATE A SHAREABLE CD

View Post

I found the command and went through the process. It seemed to write to the CD but nothing shows up on the disk.

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 07:42 AM

For me, this feature never gets to the "Burn CD" option. sad.gif

#5 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:28 AM

The old adage is true . . . the best way to debug software is to release it.

I attempted to "burn" a sharable CD.

I could not preview my Title Page because of insufficient system resources or memory. RM is the only program running in the foreground . . . a handful of TSRs are running in the background. I have 512 mbyte of memory . . . so doubt it is the memory.

It seemed to generate the CD OK - but did not eject it as requested after telling me the process was complete.

Ejected and reinserted the CD manually. It did not autorun (perhaps this is not a feature - but there is an autorun.inf file on the disk). Selected rmmenu.exe manually.

Selected "About this CD" - an empty form appeared. Selected "Contact the Author" - again an empty form appeared. This information was input during the generation process.

Selected "View Family Tree" and got this message:

RMREADER caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff7b992.
Registers:
EAX=00000020 CS=0177 EIP=bff7b992 EFLGS=00010202
EBX=00bdfa58 SS=017f ESP=00bdf978 EBP=00bdf990
ECX=0069aa98 DS=017f ESI=00000020 FS=65a7
EDX=821f6bf0 ES=017f EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
80 3e 04 74 0f 33 c0 50 50 50 68 05 00 00 c0 e8
Stack dump:
03e49850 005cda1a 00000020 005ca813 00000000 03e49850 0069f1f8 004440a8 03e49850 000016f8 00000001 00000000 03e496c0 0066fba4 00bdfa58 03e496a4

I am running Win98SE on a K7S5A motherboard with a 1.3 Ghz AMD Processor - just in case this helps.

JohnG

#6 Guest_Gene Adams_*

Guest_Gene Adams_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:34 AM

And I was thinking it was me! WOW!
What do you do with the disks that are burned?
Get a BB GUN! laugh.gif

#7 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE(Gene Adams @ Sep 8 2005, 10:34 AM)
And I was thinking it was me! WOW!
What do you do with the disks that are burned?
Get a BB GUN! laugh.gif

View Post

That or mini frisbees
JohnG

#8 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 8 2005, 08:42 AM)
For me, this feature never gets to the "Burn CD" option.    sad.gif

View Post

Hmmm! Just noticed that I wasn't logged in when I posted the above! dry.gif
Jack

a posteriori

#9 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:51 AM

HMMM, I did get my Win 98 machine to burn a sharable CD when I tried it. but I only tried it once I think.

I never had any problems burning the sharable CDs on my XP Home machine, except for once when I was using an OLD 8X disk on a new burner, I forgot to tell it to slow down and it burned too fast to get some of the pictures copied properly.

-- Trying to run that on my old Win 95 computer crashed it several times, I still don't know why.

I NEVER did get to see a preview of my cover page though, on any machine.

=======
But, as I just wrote on the GenSmarts thread, I hate to say it, but I am afraid that we are all going to have to upgrade to Win XP home or better soon.
Alfred

#10 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Sep 8 2005, 11:51 AM)
HMMM, I did get my Win 98 machine to burn a sharable CD when I tried it.  but I only tried it once I think. 

I never had any problems burning the sharable CDs on my XP Home machine, except for once when I was using an OLD 8X disk on a new burner, I forgot to tell it to slow down and it burned too fast to get some of the pictures copied properly.

-- Trying to run that on my old Win 95 computer crashed it several times, I still don't know why.

=======
But, as I just wrote on the GenSmarts thread, I hate to say it, but I am afraid that we are all going to have to upgrade to Win XP home or better soon.

View Post

Can you negotiate us a group price for WinXP - he says, tongue in cheek. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

JohnG

#11 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 11:31 AM

[QUOTE]
Can you negotiate us a group price for WinXP - he says, tongue in cheek. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif [QUOTE]

Win XP Home upgrade is about $100
My 512 MB memory upgrade, (had to remove 128MB) was about $170- (Old machine, High priced mameory)
A new 80 GB hard drive about $100
A new mouse about $15 - the old one's buttons worked popradicly.
-- That's about $385 in an old machine

It isn't a Lexus or BMW, or even a Merc, but this new e-machines has Win XP home, 512MB, double layer CD-DVD burner, 17" flat screen CRT, not as good as my old one, but that cost more than this whole computer. but I can swap them. 120GB hard drive (NO FLOPPY drive) Multiple format Flash memory readers, AMD Sempron processor, modem and 10/100 MB Ethernet --- BUT, it didn't come with Microsoft Office, only Works, which I son't care for, Word and Excel have spoiled me. It just came down a little from when I got it to something like $554 at WalMart.

Other compinies have similar models at similar prices. I don't think that upgrading anything that is out of warrenty is hardly worth the trouble, or expense.

Just blowing off steam! ohmy.gif
Alfred

#12 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Sep 8 2005, 10:31 AM)

Win XP Home upgrade is about $100
My 512 MB memory upgrade, (had to remove 128MB) was about $170- (Old machine, High priced mameory)
A new 80 GB hard drive about $100
A new mouse about $15 - the old one's buttons worked popradicly.
-- That's about $385 in an old machine

It isn't a Lexus or BMW, or even a Merc, but this new e-machines has Win XP home, 512MB, double layer CD-DVD burner, 17" flat screen CRT, not as good as my old one, but that cost more than this whole computer. but I can swap them. 120GB hard drive (NO FLOPPY drive) Multiple format Flash memory readers, AMD Sempron processor, modem and 10/100 MB Ethernet  --- BUT, it didn't come with Microsoft Office, only Works, which I son't care for, Word and Excel have spoiled me. It just came down a little from when I got it to something like $554 at WalMart. 

Other compinies have similar models at similar prices.  I don't think that upgrading anything that is out of warrenty is hardly worth the trouble, or expense.

Just blowing off steam!  ohmy.gif

View Post

And just think ... all that just to get a $29.95 piece of software to work cool.gif

#13 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Sep 8 2005, 11:51 AM)

I have a new P4 with WinXP, SP2 and all of the current updates!

I hope this doesn't turn into a major stumbling block for the software, esp. since burning to CD has been touted as one of the great new features! mad.gif
Jack

a posteriori

#14 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3321 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:22 PM

I have burned 2 Shareable CD's with cheap CD-R's and Win98Se with no problems. I have 256 MB of ram.

Laura
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#15 Guest_Gene Adams_*

Guest_Gene Adams_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Sep 8 2005, 12:22 PM)
I have burned 2 Shareable CD's with cheap CD-R's and Win98Se with no problems.  I have 256 MB of ram.

Laura

View Post

But did You tried them? Did the new burned disc work on another CP?

I was on the the way to wally world!

dry.gif

#16 Guest_Gene Adams_*

Guest_Gene Adams_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Sep 8 2005, 09:51 AM)
HMMM, I did get my Win 98 machine to burn a sharable CD when I tried it.  but I only tried it once I think. 

=======

View Post

In other words it don't work! ph34r.gif

#17 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 02:48 PM

Alfred,

Are you telling us that there is no problem with the new software so far as burning a CD is concerned?

I cannot find where the files to be burned are created/stored. Otherwise I could burn them with 3d party software.

Jack
cool.gif
Jack

a posteriori

#18 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3321 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(Gene Adams @ Sep 8 2005, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE(Laura @ Sep 8 2005, 12:22 PM)
I have burned 2 Shareable CD's with cheap CD-R's and Win98Se with no problems.  I have 256 MB of ram.

Laura

View Post

But did You tried them? Did the new burned disc work on another CP?

I was on the the way to wally world!

dry.gif

View Post

Tried the burned CD-R's in another computer that runs Win98SE and has 158 MB ram and they worked.

Laura
Laura

"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
-on various web sites-

#19 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3321 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE(Jack @ Sep 8 2005, 01:48 PM)
Alfred,

I cannot find where the files to be burned are created/stored.  Otherwise I could burn them with 3d party software.

Jack
cool.gif

View Post

On Win 98SE, I found the files RM created to burn a Shareable CD at C;\Windows\Application Data\RootsMagic\CD Program.

If the CD files are being created but the CD is not being burned, this will work.

1. Open Rootsmagic. Go to Tools/Create a Shareable CD and, after the files are created, close the Burn CD screen instead of burning the CD. Close RootsMagic.

2. Open 3rd party CD burning software. Go to C;\Windows\Application Data\RootsMagic\CD Program. Choose the files and Picture folder in the CD Program folder. Do not include the CD Program folder itself or the autorun won't work.

Laura
Laura

-on various web sites-

#20 peteki

peteki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Sep 8 2005, 05:54 PM)
QUOTE(Jack @ Sep 8 2005, 01:48 PM)
Alfred,

I cannot find where the files to be burned are created/stored.  Otherwise I could burn them with 3d party software.

Jack
cool.gif

View Post

On Win 98SE, I found the files RM created to burn a Shareable CD at C;\Windows\Application Data\RootsMagic\CD Program.

If the CD files are being created but the CD is not being burned, this will work.

1. Open Rootsmagic. Go to Tools/Create a Shareable CD and, after the files are created, close the Burn CD screen instead of burning the CD. Close RootsMagic.

2. Open 3rd party CD burning software. Go to C;\Windows\Application Data\RootsMagic\CD Program. Choose the files and Picture folder in the CD Program folder. Do not include the CD Program folder itself or the autorun won't work.

Laura

View Post

smile.gif OK using my machine running XPSP2 with 1.5GB memory I was able to create a complete CD that self starts and ejected when the preparation was complete. (Note slightly over 3000 records in the database and lots and lots of photos and about 1500 references.)
I am using a Memorex CD/DVD-RW drive. I noted the following during the preparation.

1. The photo to be put on the front page does not show up in the preview, but did show up on the opening page of the CD.
2. After you click to burn, waiting until the green bars are complete and then wait some more. The tracks and indexes are being finalized and I found it took another minute to complete the CD at that time it ejected as I had requestion.

So, other than the small error of no picture on the preview, all went as it was published. Creation was smooth and easy. Hats off Bruce!

Pete