15 replies to this topic

#1 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:57 AM

You may have noticed the message boards look different. Here's why...

Sometime yesterday a hacker got onto the message board and deleted all the messages from the main RootsMagic help board (this one). Since we had a very recent backup we were able to restore all messages posted through Wednesday night. We then updated the message board software to the latest version to hopefully keep this from happening again. But in doing so we were not able to use the same "skins" as the older version of the board software. So for now we will be running with this "generic" look.

On a personal note...

Very shortly after the board was hacked, "Bill Barson" posted a response to the message the hacker left saying we deserved this and adding a laugh (ha ha).

Bill Barson is not a registered user of RootsMagic (nor of this message board), but I don't believe he is a competitor despite the fact that he never posts a message unless it is badmouthing our users, software, or company. Our competitors are much classier than this.

Although it would be easy to make it a requirement to register to post on these message boards, I have tried to avoid this because I know sometimes a person just wants to post a quick question or problem and doesn't want to have to go through registering just to do that.

But seeing that there is someone "lurking" who hates RootsMagic so much that he is happy when the users forum gets hacked is making me think it might be wise to start requiring users to register if they want to post.
RootsMagician

#2 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:24 AM

Bruce,
I vote for making users register. I'ts really not that difficult or time-consuming to register and they only have to do it once.

#3 KHemmelman

KHemmelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:39 AM

I agree with Allan. You can check the "Remember Me" box and then there is no need to login when you use this message board the next time you come here.

This is not the first message board of this type I've seen hacked, so maybe it has nothing to do with RootsMagic and is just a destructive person causing problems. Perhaps it's possible to track the ip addresses of past anonymous posts and compare to the hackers and see if one of the anonymous poster's is in fact the hacker and report them to the authorities? Probably not, but it would be nice.

#4 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:23 AM

I agree with having users register if it can "fix the Bill Barson bug."

#5 landbrake

landbrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:32 AM

I also agree with requiring registration. It is a shame, of course, in these "enlightened" times that some people cannot maintain even a minimum level of civility, but since such appears to be the case this seems like the least onerous approach.

Very sorry about the hacking. Some people, like the Roots Magician, get joy out of creating something that brings pleasure to thousands of people. Other people, who don't have the brains or work ethic to create anything, feel that their only hope for joy is in destroying what others have created. They're basically the same morality and mentality as terrorists; just on a pathetically small scale.

- Dave

#6 MBarnhurst

MBarnhurst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:10 AM

This message board is intended as a forum for users of RootsMagic, not for bad mouthing or pranks. I also cast my vote for requiring all users of this board to register. It is a very small price to pay if it will help reduce the "clutter".

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:11 AM

I checked the archives of this help board.for the past year. (I have nothing better to do?)

Of 785 threads started since the end of July last year, only 32 were started by guests, or non registered users. And, I noticed that some of those names were registered earlier, so, maybe they were on a different computer or had logged off and forgotten to log back on again.

I would imagine that there is a larger ratio of guests on the wish list and on the General forum, I am not going to take the time to check.

Since requiring someone to log on before posting a message would inconvenience so few people, and be such a small inconvenience anyway, I too would vote for requiring a user to be logged on before he/she can POST a message. They can still read and browse all they want.

Completely eliminating problems isn't possible, even with registration. As a RootsWeb mail list administrator, I can ban a person's email address, but new addresses are easy to come by, so it is an ongoing process.

It will make a little more work for Bruce and his staff, but they don't have anything to do anyway. laugh.gif
Alfred

#8 Patricia

Patricia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:43 AM

I agree that it would be better to have users register to post. Especially since, as Alfred said, the statistics show that it would impact so few board users.

I also agree with Dave's comments: "...Other people, who don't have the brains or work ethic to create anything, feel that their only hope for joy is in destroying what others have created. They're basically the same morality and mentality as terrorists; just on a pathetically small scale."

#9 thepriz

thepriz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:50 AM

I was very shocked yesterday to discover the forums had been hacked. I do hope the new version of IPB solves the problem. I can't stand hackers wanting to abuse other people. I know the feeling because of abuse to my web server that I run personaly. It is constantly attacked by people trying to break in. I can see them do it everyday in the logs. Most of the attacks originate from outside of the United States, so it is hard to prosecute them.

#10 Candy

Candy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:12 PM

Count me in on the registration vote. I have a few others that I have had to register for so one more won't make any difference to me. I enjoy reading the various ideas, problems/solutions and suggestions.

Candy

~~ In a perpetual state of not knowing if I'm coming or going.

#11 Dennis

Dennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:54 PM

As a long time user of Family Origins and now Roots Magic... I too vote for the registration. I don't think it will stop the determined hacker... but it is worth a shot. It is too bad that you can't log the i.d. of the person that caused the problem. Thanx Bruce and team for 1.) A really GREAT genealogy program and 2.) A method for all of us to keep in touch with each other (this message board)

Dennis

#12 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:00 PM

Count me in also. I'm automatically logged-in (by my browser) whenever I access the forums. It is definitely not an inconvenience and if required registration helps prevent another occurance, I'm for it. Keep up the good work.
JohnG

#13 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:25 PM

Please allow me to add my voice to those supporting registration in order to post.

As previously stated by others, guests will still be able to read the various threads/posts, and members won't be unduly inconvenienced. I think the small price to be paid by registration would certainly be outweighed by the benefits of having tighter controls over the message boards.

Fortunately, almost all participants here seem to treat others with respect in their dealings with one another and try their best to offer helpful questions and/or answers, which should be commended. Without a doubt, I think the community here is one if not the best of those in which I participate and is a real pleasure. Let's just hope that any possible required registration may help to eliminate those infrequent inappropriate posts.

Thanks.

#14 Guest_Anne_*

Guest_Anne_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2005 - 06:40 AM

I am an unregistered user of the message board because I have only used it a couple of times. Whilst I do not like haveing to register, as long as the administration team can assure there are sufficient safeguards to protect our identities and E-mail addresses, I should be willing to register to avoid such a situation happening again.

#15 Helen

Helen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:25 AM

I was suprised by the change in the look of the message board. But I agree that registration is a small price to pay.

Thanks Roots Magician for the great program and the great message board.

#16 silicon

silicon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:56 AM

Bruce,

I am already registered, and think this is not a problem. Thank's for the support and Great software. All of the RM products...