33 replies to this topic

#21 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:41 PM

Was this issue fixed in RM3? I'll be buying the upgrade anyway, but I wondered if you found the problem yet.

Thanks!
Linda

#22 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:55 PM

No, I don't think it has. I cannot say for sure though.
But I don't think that any one else has been able to replicate it so they can find out what the cause is.
Alfred

#23 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(lmparks6838 @ Sep 5 2005, 03:41 PM)
Was this issue fixed in RM3? I'll be buying the upgrade anyway, but I wondered if you found the problem yet.

Thanks!
Linda

View Post

We couldn't duplicate this, but we did make a change in the way those pictures were handled internally, so hopefully it is fixed. If someone could let us know whether it solves the problem we would appreciate it so we can either move on or keep looking for it.
RootsMagician

#24 KHemmelman

KHemmelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE(RootsMagician @ Sep 5 2005, 06:58 PM)
We couldn't duplicate this, but we did make a change in the way those pictures were handled internally, so hopefully it is fixed.  If someone could let us know whether it solves the problem we would appreciate it so we can either move on or keep looking for it.

Bruce, I just purchased and downloaded v3. Unfortunately the problem of misassigned photos is still occuring for me.

Here's some info on what I did.

- Uninstalled v2.04a and deleted C:\Program Files\RootsMagic folder
- Edited registry to remove Formalsoft and RootsMagic entries
- Rebooted
- Installed v3
- Opened my RM database and had it convert it to v3 format
- Customized RM Toolbar and colors
- Selected an individual and created a "Ancestor Wall Chart". Only had it use 5 generations and print Left to Right. I did not change any other options.
- The resulting chart had several photos misassigned to the wrong persons. The misassigned photos are always a photo from a person that is part of the chart generated, it's never a photo from a completely unrelated person in the database.
- I created a Descendant Wall Chart of 5 generations and there was a single photo misassigned to the wrong person.

On positive side though, the corruption in the RM Chart toolbars I had previously reported is no longer there. smile.gif

I wished I was able to give you more useable information that would show a pattern of why this is occuring, etc. but I've run out of ideas on what to try. It's possible there is something installed on my pc that is conflicting with the RM Chart program, but with none of the many other programs installed having any trouble at all, I don't know where to begin to troubleshoot those. It's just not feasible for me to uninstall them 1 at a time or wipe my pc and start over. (I just don't have the time to do that.) I had hoped if it were a conflict with another program, installing v3 would overwrite any shared files with it's version during the install.

#25 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:10 AM

The misassigned photos are always a photo from a person that is part of the chart generated, it's never a photo from a completely unrelated person in the database.

I have not downloaded version 3 yet, but I thought I'd add one comment for a clue as to what is going wrong.

If I completely shut down my computer and then start up again, usually the first chart I create will have all correct photos (occasionally one wrong). Then, for subsequent charts, the problem gets progressively worse. But as KHemmelman said, it is always someone from the same chart whose photo repeats onto the next person in line.

Any other testing you would like me to do, just let me know!

Linda

#26 jamesp

jamesp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:24 PM

I have just printed a 5 generation wall chart and had 1 picture in generation 5 have the same picture (male) for the male & female. Using 3.0.1. Also had the same with previous 2. version. Differant generations & differant people at differant times I have run it.

#27 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:11 PM

I have done some testing of this problem with RM 3.0.3 on a Windows 2000 system with Service Pack 4 plus more recent Microsoft patches. The RM database has about 13,000 people.

I added a photo of my father [TIF image on D: drive buried 4 levels down in the directory structure]and two photos [JPG images on top level directory on removable CD] of my nephews.

I then started wall charts with my parents, then grandparents, and all the way to great-great-great grandparents on the top level of the wall chart. The final test had almost 2000 people on the chart. There were no failures on these experiments on incorrect photo assignments. I did not print any of these tests.

If I removed the CD and regenerated the wall chart, the two photos were simply missing from the wall chart witout an error message. If I went to the individual nephew's page, the photo selection had a large red "X" to denote a missing photo.

In the unlikely event if you kept your photos on CD's and happened to have multiple CD's with different images on two or more CD's but with the same filenames, you could create this problem by inserting the wrong CD in the drive.

For those with problems, have you narrowed the problem down to image types [JPG, TIFF, etc], location of files [C:, D:, removable drive, memory stick], or depth level of file directory where photos are stored?

#28 KHemmelman

KHemmelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(John_of_Ross_County @ Oct 7 2005, 05:11 PM)
For those with problems, have you narrowed the problem down to image types [JPG, TIFF, etc], location of files [C:, D:, removable drive, memory stick], or depth level of file directory where photos are stored?

View Post

I use .BMP files for my photos and they are all stored locally on the hard drive. I haven't been able to narrow down the problem to anything and have quit trying to figure it out. If I need to print a wall chart in the future I'll use The Master Genealogist since their wall charting program is almost identical to RM's and I don't have this problem in TMG.

I don't know that file types or folder depth is the issue since this problem actually changed when the 2.04a patch came out. Prior to that patch I could create a single wall chart on it's own with no problems. The problem back then was when I tried to copy/paste info from one chart into a 2nd chart to 'combine' the info but some of the photos would get incorrectly changed to the wrong person after pasting. After the 2.04a patch came out, I could no longer create a single wall chart on it's own without experiencing the problem of some of the photos getting incorrectly assigned.

This problem still persists (for me) with RM v3 too. I assume since most folks don't experience this problem that it must be some weird combination between my computer setup and the RM Wall Chart program and have decided not to worry about it or use the RM Chart program since I have a different solution with TMG.

#29 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 06:24 PM

I couldn't duplicate the doubled picture on a wall chart until I got this latest computer.
e-machines, AMD Athlon 512MB, 120GB HD

Now I can see the duplicates here and there on a wall chart, no matter where I put the picture files.

I cannot duplicate it with the same database and the same picture file folder on any of the three other computers I have.

I don't have a solid clue yet as to what is going on.

I thought it may be the intigrated graphics but I installed the graphics card from my Win 98 computer and it is still there.

Here is my system summary, Do you see any parallels with your system that shows duplicate pictures in Wall charts?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name E-MACHINE
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model W3052
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1991 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 1/24/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name E-MACHINE\Owner
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 176.03 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.78 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Alfred

#30 KHemmelman

KHemmelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 01:30 PM

Alfred, I don't really see any parallel with the hardware. I too suspect there is something (driver?) with some systems and the RM Chart program, but after trying many things for quite some time, I ran out of things to try. I've summarized my system below:

Motherboard: ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
CPU: Retail Intel P4 3.0GHz w/HT (Prescott Sockett 478 - 800MHz FSB - 1MB L2 cache)
RAM: 1GB (2 - 512MB PC2700)
Video: ASUS V9950 TVD (GeForce FX5900)
Network: Integrated Marvel Yukon Gigabit Ethernet adapter
Hard drives: 120GB IDE w/8MB cache (Drive 0) 120GB SATA w/8MB cache(Drive 1)
Floppy: 3.5" combo 6 in 1 memory card reader
Sound: Integrated Realtek AC'97 Audio

I not only had the wrong photo problem, I also had corruption in the RM Chart "toolbar". I've tried many different revisions of video drivers since the toolbar corruption would normally point to that as the probable cause. However, none of the different drivers from both nVidia or ASUS made a difference. But since only the RM Chart program had the toolbar corruption, I never could positively blame it on the video. But when RM v3 came out, the RM Chart toolbar corruption has gone away, but the photo problem still remains. Since I didn't change video drivers prior to installing RM v3 and the toolbar corruption cleared up, I would now lean more towards the RM Chart program as the problem for the photo problem. However, I've pretty much run out of ideas on what to try. I know it must be frustrating for Bruce since there doesn't seem to be any common thread with this problem occuring and it is happening only to a very few users and wished I could find the culprit for the cause of it, but it has escaped me.

#31 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 02:43 PM

When the wrong photo problem happens, have you tried the following:

Reports/List[Expand this with "+" sign]/Multimedia List/[Select items as needed]/Create

Then match the photo filenames with the the name of the individual.

I have not noticed any prior replies with this suggestion.

#32 KHemmelman

KHemmelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(John_of_Ross_County @ Oct 8 2005, 03:43 PM)
When the wrong photo problem happens, have you tried the following:

Reports/List[Expand this with "+" sign]/Multimedia List/[Select items as needed]/Create

Then match the photo filenames with the the name of the individual.

I have not noticed any prior replies with this suggestion.

View Post

I've done this in the past and just tried it again. The photo path/filenames match up correctly to the individulas in my database. The photos also show up correctly when viewing the 'Person' photos for each individual.

As a side note, the photos that get incorrectly assigned in the generation of the wall chart are not necessarily the same person. I can create the same chart 10 times in a row and have different photos incorrectly assigned each time.

If I print a "Photo Tree" report, the photos show up fine for these same individuals. I've only had this problem when the RM Chart program gets brought into the scene by making "Wall Charts".

#33 wendy39

wendy39

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:39 PM

I have the same problem with the wall charts printing the wrong pictures. I am running the latest version of Rootsmagic on Windows XP Professional. Any updates on the problem and the solution?

#34 bluemoose

bluemoose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:04 PM

I tried it again this morning. The only difference was that I added a back ground color. It worked perfect. I then went back and run it again without a background color and it worked perfect again. Since then I have run the same wall chart three times and each time it worked perfect.

This may be a bit simplistic, but did you shut the computer down overnight?
Perhaps it's an overheating problem, or some program isn't releasing the ram when it's through with it? At any rate, if shutting down overnight solves the problem, it's probably not the program.

Steve