Wall Charts

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Don P. Wright_*

Guest_Don P. Wright_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:50 PM

I recently printed out a 27 page wall chart with all the descendants and photos of an individual. This was for a presentation at a Family Reunion. After printing them out and taping them together and posting them on a wall for all to see, much to my suprise, many of the photos were in the wrong place and many names were located in the wrong place as well as many connections were in error.

My wife and I spent five hours checking all the data on the database when we returned and could find no error in the database. Since my database has over 180,000 names, all related by blood or as an inlaw, I thought maybe it was too many names for the program to handle.

In order to use a smaller database to make the wall chart from we made a GEDCOM of the descendants of the individual and found the same kinds of problems. Many of the names were connected to the wrong person and we found that many of the photos were shown for the wrong individual. For example, my wife's photo was shown for my name. Also many of the marriages were shown in the wrong order.

We have spent many hours checking the database for each error on the chart but could find no reason for it.

I am using RM version 204a, so am up to date on the program.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:38 PM

Do these people show up with the wrong places and people with the wrong pictures when viewed on the screen? Or is it just after it is printed?

I haven't gotten around to printing a chart, but I don't notice any of those problems with the charts that I have geneated to the screen.

I have heard other people camplain of this problem, but I don't know that anyone has figured out what is going on.

We had problems a while ago copying from one chart to another, but that seems to have been fixed, only to have this one show up for a few people.

What operating system are you running?
Do you have many other programs running besides RootsMagic when this happens?
How much memory n your computer?

Alfred

#3 KHemmelman

KHemmelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:42 PM

I've reported similiar issues.

Prior to the v2.04a patch, I had this issue:
http://www.rootsmagi...owtopic=861&hl=
(Copying & pasting info from one chart into another caused wrong photos to get assigned. But creating a single wall chart by itself worked fine.)

There was another person that reported the same issue here:
http://www.rootsmagi...wtopic=1448&hl=

After the 2.04a patch was released, the problem I had changed into this issue:
http://www.rootsmagi...wtopic=1643&hl=
(Some photos are incorrectly assigned when creating a single wallchart now. Previously the problem only occured if I copied/pasted from one chart into another. Now the problem occurs with just creating a single wall chart.)

I just tried it again tonight and created an Ancestor Wall Chart and it had multiple photos on the screen assigned to the wrong person. I then tried a Descendant Wall Chart and it too had the wrong photos on the screen. To verify how it prints, I printed the Descendant Wall Chart and the printout had the same wrong photos as they showed on the screen in the RM Chart program.

Not all the photos are incorrect though and each time I create a new wall chart it's not always the same person(s) that get the wrong photos. After several months I've not been able to find a common connection with the problem. I have very few wall charts that I needed printed and the few that I needed in the past I got done using the TMG program. The odd thing is that it seems some other RM users are not encountering this problem.

#4 Footprints

Footprints

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:47 PM

The program I am using is Win-XP, RM204a, and was using RM as the only program running, so there was no other programs competing with it for space.

I did run the same chart on my LapTop using version 2.0 and the problems were not quite so bad. I found only one photo used in error, and none of the names in the wrong location that I could see at a quick glance.

One odd thing though, I found on the printouts from both computers was that where a person was listed in two different locations (marriage of second cousins), and in both places the descendants were not listed. Only a box with "Duplicate Line". The duplicate line was not listed anywhere on the chart.

This project had 27 pages. I have another reunion coming up for this group next year and it will no doubt be larger by then.

I also have another reunion coming up in a few months, so I may have to do a lot of cut and paste by hand unless someone has other suggestons. I am not computer minded and don't understand a lot of the suggestions I have seen in other posts.

Note - My previous question was listed under "Don P. Wright". I thought I had registered before, but guess not. I am listed now as "Footprints".

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:23 PM

I just created four different wall charts. three descendant charts of different people and one hour glass chart of my father, which has quite a little overlaping with the other charts.

I cannot find anything out of place.

I certainly am not doubting that you have these problems, it is just that I have not been ablt to replicate thm so that I can look for a cause, and then, a solution.

I am getting too sleepy to do any more tonight. I don't even know what questions to ask anymore.

Maybe my database isn't large enough. -- No, someone said it happend, but not quite as much with a small database. --- Not quite as much? Maybe it does have something to do with the size of the database?
Alfred

#6 Guest_Guest_Bob Bance_*

Guest_Guest_Bob Bance_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:10 PM

My two cents.

I have not tried any wall charts printing. But what strikes me in the previous messages is the fact that there is PRINTING and PHOTOS involved and the combinaison of both spell TROUBLE. Hmmm!! Just an observation
Bob

#7 KHemmelman

KHemmelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:45 PM

I would disagree that "printing" and "photos" are cause for trouble. I've been printing many photos in many applications for many years without problem. I also have provided support to hundreds of users over several years doing the same types of things and this is no more a common recipe for trouble than anything else. The problem in RM is obviously an elusive bug to track down, but it is due to RM and not due to the fact that I am using photos.

Alfred, here's an example of what is occuring:

I created the same wall chart 2 times in RootsMagic. Each time incorrect photos got assigned to the wrong person. Also, as you can see between the two screenshots the problem is not consistent since the 2nd time I created the same chart a different photo was incorrectly assigned.
http://pie.midco.net.../testchart1.jpg
http://pie.midco.net.../testchart2.jpg

If I create the same chart in The Master Genealogist, I get the correct photos assigned to the correct persons.
http://pie.midco.net.../testchart3.jpg

It also appears to only affect the Wall Charts as printing a Photo Tree report in RM works fine. I wouldn't suspect the size of the database as a cause for the problem as my database only has 7288 indivduals in it.

I don't know that this has anything to do with it or not, but all the photo files I use for my genealogy programs are Windows .BMP files and are 150dpi. Some of my photos are 8 bit grayscale and some are 24bit color. I've had problems with both grayscale and color photos. I've tried creating different charts in RM with different numbers of ancestors/descendants to be included, but I always ran into the problem no matter what I tried.

#8 Footprints

Footprints

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:47 AM

I have run the wall chart program a number of times using different ancestors. The same problem happens in each. I ran the first one three or four times and it was the same individuals that were in error. My wife and I spent four hours going through the database and could find no problems.

However the next to last time I ran it, I was able to delete some of the excess or wrong names and move things around abit to correct it. I still had the wrong photos in place. Then the last time I ran it, the duplicate photos was listed for someone who was not in the descending line. I just deleted that section and moved that descending line to the proper place and it worked out ok. By the time I need the chart for this family, I know I will have many more names to include so will have to wait until then to cut and paste.

I know I can cut and paste the names, but am not sure if I know how to add an additional name, or change the name or informaiton in the block. I will keep trying to see what I can do.

I have tried most of the other printouts without problem. So, for me, it is the Wall Chart that has the problem.

#9 Footprints

Footprints

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 01:23 PM

I tried it again this morning. The only difference was that I added a back ground color. It worked perfect. I then went back and run it again without a background color and it worked perfect again. Since then I have run the same wall chart three times and each time it worked perfect.

I don't know if it is just a coincidence or what. It may be that it worked because it was a different day, or it is possible that by making the chart with a background color changed something, but at any rate it is working perfect now.

rolleyes.gif

#10 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:06 PM

Go figure!

I was about to ask what the time stamp on you chart program was, thinking that MAYBE it didn't get updated when you added the later patch.

NOW, I have to go and get my thinking cap again, but I can't remember where I put it.

I had better find it, it is rather chilly since I have been pulling my hair out. biggrin.gif

Alfred

#11 KHemmelman

KHemmelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (Footprints @ Jul 14 2005, 02:23 PM)
I tried it again this morning. The only difference was that I added a back ground color. It worked perfect. I then went back and run it again without a background color and it worked perfect again. Since then I have run the same wall chart three times and each time it worked perfect.

I don't know if it is just a coincidence or what. It may be that it worked because it was a different day, or it is possible that by making the chart with a background color changed something, but at any rate it is working perfect now.

rolleyes.gif

I gave this a try and created a small Ancestor Wall Chart. I created it using 'white' as the background color and the 4 photos in the wall chart were correct. So I thought that you may be on to something since I rarely get a wall chart with the correct photos. However, after creating the same chart (and others) multiple times using background colors and no background colors, the problem of mis-assigned photos occured every other time I made a chart.

Also, I had previously reported this, but in my "testchart1.jpg" and "testchart2.jpg" examples I link to above, there is a lot of corruption in the button toolbars. The RMChart program is the only program having this problem. The button 'seperators' are severely corrupted and the coloring of the buttons are a faded tan instead of the standard gray. Way back when I saw this problem in the RMChart program the obvious suspicion would be with video drivers. However, after spending a significant amount of time troubleshooting and using many different rev's of video drivers, I'm convinced that the RMChart program is the problem. The button bars in every other program, including the main RootsMagic program are fine, it's just the RMChart program that exhibits this problem.

#12 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:06 AM

I would like to jump into this discussion -- because I too am having a major problem with this! I need to create wall charts for a reunion coming up in September, and was just starting to run some test charts after I got my pictures linked in.

The pictures are very inconsistently inserted into the wrong box. Every time I run the chart, different people are wrong! A lot of times, one person repeats to the next box in line. For exampe, a man's picture will print in his box, then his wife's too. I am only displaying on the screen -- I have not sent it to the printer yet.

I am running RM 2.04a, Windows XP SP2.
Thanks for any help!
Linda

** Edit ** I studied the errors, and it seems to only take the wrong photo from the same generation, but not necessarily the same family group. I am doing a descendant chart. So in the second generation, it seems to grab a photo of a sibling or their spouse, then the next person gets the same photo. In generation three, a person's picture is displayed, and then a cousin (child of another sibling) repeats that same picture. In each case, the person's personal information is correctly displayed.

#13 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 01:09 PM

This is just a wild guess because someone else posted a problem with thumbnail photo files.

Try deleting all of the files in your picture folder with the extension "THU" and try it once.

RootsMagic will re-create the THU files as it needs them.

I don't know if this will help, but if you renamed some JPG, TIF or BMP photofiles, it may still be using the THU files from before the filenames were changed.

It's only a shot in the dark, but I am getting desperate to knock down this bug or whatever it is. unsure.gif

=================
NO! That doesn't seem to be it. The thumbnails are used when you create a scrapbook report, but, not when you do a wall chart.
Alfred

#14 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 03:41 PM

Sorry Alfred! That someone was me! I have deleted all the THU files. With that problem, it was grabbing a THU file of a picture I had replaced with the same file name.

With the pictures in the wall charts, it is grabbing an entirely wrong file and attaching it to a different person in the same generation.

Help! I need this fixed soon! Bruce???

Thanks,
Linda

#15 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 04:14 PM

We are working on this but can't duplicate it on our systems here. There are a couple of areas that it could be happening in, but we can't be sure if they are the problem until we figure out how to make this happen ourselves.
RootsMagician

#16 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:19 PM

I don't know if it will help you figure it out, but when I run a chart the first time, most of the time it is correct. I then might close the chart program, link in a few more pictures in RM, then run the wall chart again. Thereafter, the chart will have the wrong pictures.

HTH,
Linda

** EDIT ** Never mind -- today the pictures are wrong no matter if it is the first time I run the report or not. August 10, 2005.

#17 KHemmelman

KHemmelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE(RootsMagician @ Aug 8 2005, 05:14 PM)
We are working on this but can't duplicate it on our systems here.  There are a couple of areas that it could be happening in, but we can't be sure if they are the problem until we figure out how to make this happen ourselves.

View Post

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to track down a software issue when it doesn't occur for you at all and doesn't occur consistently for us each time we generate a wall chart! I don't know that there's anything else I can try in an attempt to find some consistency or common cause of this occuring, but if you have certain things you'd like someone to try, please let me know.

#18 Dennis

Dennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:26 PM

I would like to make a suggestion... maybe you and Bruce could log on together and using NetMeeting (or some other program) Bruce could "Look" over your shoulder while you re-create the problem / error. I think that would be most helpful. I know that Bruce et al are extremely busy but if it would help solve a potential problem, it may be worth it.

Bruce, or whoever, could also look at your configuration to see if there is something in there that makes the issue appear.

Dennis

#19 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:36 PM

I have come up with a temporary solution for this problem, since I am in a hurry to get my charts done before a reunion in a couple weeks. I had been trying to delete or change the incorrect photo out of the person's box on the chart, but I could not find a way to select just the photo. Then I finally figured out I could insert the correct photo onto the chart, re-size it to the right thumbnail size, then just plop it over the incorrect photo. I hope this helps anyone else having this problem until Bruce finds the fix!

Linda

#20 KHemmelman

KHemmelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE(Dennis @ Aug 13 2005, 11:26 PM)
I would like to make a suggestion... maybe you and Bruce could log on together and using NetMeeting (or some other program) Bruce could "Look" over your shoulder while you re-create the problem / error.  I think that would be most helpful.  I know that Bruce et al are extremely busy but if it would help solve a potential problem, it may be worth it.

Bruce, or whoever, could also look at your configuration to see if there is something in there that makes the issue appear.

Dennis

View Post

I don't know if we could work it out but I'm sure open to giving this a try if it might help.