• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Twigs

Twigs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 11:19 AM

The number of people in my databases is never right when I go to Properties. The people list of correct, but the number listed in the Properties is off by 15 or 20 people all the time. I have not added anyone in a couple of days. Today I made a GEDCOM for another program and it was off by the same amount. I cannot find who RM throws out, which makes it hard to try to fix it in another program. I do not know how long this has gone on, but I am worried about it. I have just been trusting the RM.

Yes I did set the GEDCOM to "everyone". 

Yes I've run tools.

The numbers are not syncing correctly. The numbers in the people tab are correct. I keep a running list of people and numbers on paper, so I know which is correct.

Anyone else run into this? 

Thanks!

Sheri

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8835 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:14 AM

Somewhere along the line you have deleted people in your database. The RINs are not reused so there will be gaps. The count in Properties is the true number of people in the database. If you did a drag n drop of everyone into a new blank database it would fill in the missing RINs. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Twigs

Twigs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:56 AM

As I said, I keep a running list of people. I know which ones have been deleted. I also have a way to reuse the RIN by detaching and adding a new person to that profile,  Keeps the numbers straight. 

The interesting part is that I set up RM8 again and put the GEDCOM in that. It showed the exact number of people that it should. So now I know that no people were actually lost, just RM7 is broken somehow. Legacy showed the same numbers as RM7, so it is a problem. I hated RM8, but may have to rethink if I am unable to find another program. I'm going to see if RM8 can make a proper/correct GEDCOM.

#4 craigg43-1

craigg43-1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:07 PM

Is your people list set to display alternate names?
There can be a difference between the number of persons listed there with the number of persons listed in the properties.

This was discussed several months ago, but I don't remember the details about how to make the numbers match.  The jist of it is that the number of persons in the people list is counted differently than the number of people in properties, and how alternate names enters into the counts.

#5 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 03:51 AM

As I said, I keep a running list of people. I know which ones have been deleted. I also have a way to reuse the RIN by detaching and adding a new person to that profile,  Keeps the numbers straight. 

The interesting part is that I set up RM8 again and put the GEDCOM in that. It showed the exact number of people that it should. So now I know that no people were actually lost, just RM7 is broken somehow. Legacy showed the same numbers as RM7, so it is a problem. I hated RM8, but may have to rethink if I am unable to find another program. I'm going to see if RM8 can make a proper/correct GEDCOM.

On the people view, have you checked if the "show alternative names" has been unclicked.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8835 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:07 AM

It is a very bad idea to reuse RINs. It's the internal UID number that will eventually mess things up for you. As examples if you use Compare Files it will match the wrong people. Merging can be an issue. I think you simple have issues with your database now. Do a drag a drop and see if it will straighten things out. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6468 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 08:28 AM

The People View has no count of the number of people in the database. It does show the record number of each person. If you delete or merge a person, their record number is gone with no effect on the record numbers of other people. So there is a gap and the highest record number cannot be relied on as the indicator of the number of people in the database. Run the Statistics List Report and it will show the number of people and it should match what you see in Properties. It is conceivable that a database can contain people records with no name (phantoms) but that's another issue.

Tom user of RM7650 FTM2019 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

RootsMagic-Users indie forum