4 replies to this topic

#1 Norfolkman99

Norfolkman99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 04:50 AM

Can I do the following in RM7?

Download my full tree from Ancestry together with all the records  (I know I can do this bit).

Then split the tree in RM7 to isolate one branch of the tree (e.g. my Mother's side)

Then upload that tree back to Ancestry as a separate new tree together with all its associated records.

Many thanks.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8834 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:18 AM

Yes, but before you upload the isolated branch in the separate database go to Tools>File Options>Ancestry and click on "Disconnect from Ancestry tree". Then it will allow an upload. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Norfolkman99

Norfolkman99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:13 AM

Thank you very much for the reply.

I am very wary of doing anything in case I overwrite my main tree on Ancestry

It seems a little odd to disconnect from Ancestry in order to allow an upload!  Is this to prevent my main tree on Ancestry being overwritten?

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8834 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:17 AM

You mentioned that you wanted a separate tree on Ancestry. That is why you need to disconnect the new database from the Ancestry tree. Don't do that with your main database because it cannot be reconnected. If you want to still work with the existing Ancestry tree then you won't need to upload anything. The issue could be then that you won't be able to sync if there are to many missing people in the database since you split the file. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Norfolkman99

Norfolkman99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:00 AM

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation.