4 replies to this topic

#1 popmorgangd

popmorgangd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 04:28 PM

The topic above is not very informative - apologies.

Here's my problem.

I have my family database with about 1700 entries. I keep all my media files in a single folder.

My wife's brother is interested in his family history and I want to give him a selection of all his relations from my main database.

I open my main database and then open a new empty database.

I drag my wife's entry from the main database to the new database.

I specify to include her ancestors and their descendants.

It works perfectly and the media links in the new database continue to be correct - as I expected.

Now, to the problem.

In addition to the new database, I want to give my brother-in-law a folder containing only the media files linked to from the new database.

Can anyone suggest a methodology to extract a copy of the relevant media from my main media folder?

More in hope than anticipation!!

Pop

#2 XFTMTeutopIL

XFTMTeutopIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 05:30 PM

I think by doing a RootsMagic to Go process from the wife's new database, only the wife's attached media will end up in the RootsMagic to Go file.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8835 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 07:08 AM

I think by doing a RootsMagic to Go process from the wife's new database, only the wife's attached media will end up in the RootsMagic to Go file.

RootsMagic To-Go won't include media. You also cannot share it with your brother-in-law because it requires a registration key to work. 

What you can do is give them a backup with media. Just check the media option when creating the backup. When restored it will have a separate media folder. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 XFTMTeutopIL

XFTMTeutopIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 08:24 AM

I must have been thinking about the "Create a Shareable CD" which I believe will also include the attached media.

#5 popmorgangd

popmorgangd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 09:44 AM

RootsMagic To-Go won't include media. You also cannot share it with your brother-in-law because it requires a registration key to work. 

What you can do is give them a backup with media. Just check the media option when creating the backup. When restored it will have a separate media folder. 

Brilliant Renee. Absolutely great thinking :)

Thank you  <now why didn't I think of that!!>

Pop