Photo

When I use Ancestors with selecting people, can I add other search criteria?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jdm2stl

jdm2stl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 07:58 AM

I created a new RM Family File by downloading my ancestors from FamilySearch Family Tree.  Now I would like to work on only 1 family line.  I am trying to create a Custom Report for that person's ancestors.  When I create the report, I start with that person and use "Select From List" and it displays the "Select People" screen.  I choose "Ancestors of Highlighted Person".  It picked the right people, but now I would like to produce a Custom Report for only those ancestors born in Virginia.    I don't see any way to enter selection criteria like only those born in Virginia.  

I created a group with just these ancestors.  When I try to create a Custom Report, it uses all the people in my RM Family File.  Can't see how to only use my Group that I created.    How do I create Custom Reports using just this group?

Thanks,

John

#2 XFTMTeutopIL

XFTMTeutopIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 09:40 PM

You might be better off creating a "Group" called ancestors of xxx, which is easy to do with Groups.  You can then search the ancestors of xxx Group for those born in Virginia, etc.  I also like to color code some of my Groups so I can identify them easily in the Index.  I've color coded all my kinship red.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8835 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:17 AM

Here's a video demonstration on creating a group.

Using Named Groups in RootsMagic

https://youtu.be/i35hJfrx7Ts

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 jdm2stl

jdm2stl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:30 AM

I had tried this, but with mixed results.  It did use the group name, BUT it put people on the report that didn't meet the criteria.  I had defined the selection as "Birth location contains Virginia" or "Death location contains Virginia".  The report that it generated did use the people in my group, but it had people on the list that DIDN'T meet the criteria.  I had people shown that did not have Virginia in either their birth or death location.  I am lost, I don't get this.

So can you tell me now to use a group and be able to define the selection criteria for listing people on the report??

Thanks, 

John

#5 jdm2stl

jdm2stl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:31 AM

Here's a video demonstration on creating a group.

Using Named Groups in RootsMagic

https://youtu.be/i35hJfrx7Ts

#6 jdm2stl

jdm2stl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:34 AM

Thanks, I had watched this video.  As I responded above, it did use the people in the group, but it listed people on the report in that group that didn't match the selection criteria.

#7 XFTMTeutopIL

XFTMTeutopIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 09:10 AM

Here's where color coding a group works where other things do not.  

After you have color coded your group the steps are: Reports, Custom Reports, Choose your report, Select from list, Mark group, Select people by data fields.

Here you need to select two data fields: Color coding - is (the color you used) and Birth - Place - Contains - Virginia.

I have one where I use 6 data fields to get the folks I'm after.

#8 jdm2stl

jdm2stl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 06:16 AM

Thanks !

I had already started going down this path.  I was having strange results with the Ancester Group I set up for one of my family lines.  Once I saw that I could use Color Coding as one the parameters in the Selection screen, I was felt this was the way to go. It is working great.  

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8835 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 12:50 PM

I had tried this, but with mixed results.  It did use the group name, BUT it put people on the report that didn't meet the criteria.  I had defined the selection as "Birth location contains Virginia" or "Death location contains Virginia".  The report that it generated did use the people in my group, but it had people on the list that DIDN'T meet the criteria.  I had people shown that did not have Virginia in either their birth or death location.  I am lost, I don't get this.

So can you tell me now to use a group and be able to define the selection criteria for listing people on the report??

Thanks, 

John

Birth - place - contains - Virginia, would be all you need. If you add the "Or" and death location too it will include people that died in Virginia but could have been born any place. 

Renee
RootsMagic