Photo

Is the FS Person ID contained in the RM family file?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jdm2stl

jdm2stl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:27 AM

I created an Ancestor Database in RM by downloading my ancestors contained in my FS Family Tree.  There are a number of records in the download that only have a ",?" in the Name field.  I would like to view the entry in the FS Family Tree to see if I can clean up some of the information, but don't know how to find it on FS without the FS Person ID.  The FS Person ID would also be useful, because I am finding records where it appears the wrong person has been linked to my ancestor and would like to research to determine if it is correct.  Having the FS Person ID would let me go directly to that person record on FS.

If it is in a field in the RM file, can I select it to print on a Custom Report?  It would save me time trying to investigate the entry on FS.

Thanks

John

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8835 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 07:10 AM

Go to Tools>File Options and under "Number to display after name" select "FamilySearch ID". It will tell you if this person has one. If the Share Data tab will open for them in the FamilySearch Person Tools click on "Show on Family Tree" to view them. If the person doesn't appear to be imported then go through a Family Members' profile to see who should be there in that location. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 jdm2stl

jdm2stl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 12:17 PM

Renee:

Thanks !!! It worked.  I am going to manually clean up records on FamilySearch Family Tree, until I get them in better shape. Some of my ancestor lines have so much activity and a number are linked to the wrong parents.  There has been a lot of merging, so I wanted to get it in better shape before I start syncing with RM.  Like anything else, once you start producing reports, you don't see some of the garbage that needs to be edited.  But, I have become a firm believer in trying to get the shared tree for my ancestors in better shape.  It is a great way for relatives to share knowledge !!

Thanks again, it is much appreciated.

John