3 replies to this topic

#1 lubbersk

lubbersk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:23 PM

Hi all,

I have a new PC and am trying to get RootsMagic 7 set up on it. My old hard drive was going bad and crashing repeatedly. I mention that because I tried the recommended method of saving my tree with the media attached but I can't do that as the RootsMagic program on the old computer is giving me various error messages.

I have RootsMagic 7 installed on my new PC and I have my tree which I copied from backup files. Of course my media links are broken and I have been trying to fix that using the tool under Media to fix the broken links. However I am having problems with RootsMagic finding the right path. One path on my old PC was C:\Users\user\Documents\Documents\Ancestry Ehlman-Feltel_media\4192489_00342.jpg. I didn't realize until I started to try and fix the link problems that using Treeshare with Ancestry uses a whole different folder than some of my other media. Anyway I have the Ancestry media file on my new computer but RootsMagic can't find it. I want to start with this folder and see if I can fix the links and then try and move onto the other folders. I also know I have issues with some folders being in Dropbox and others in One Drive.

I have read thru various posts on this topic and I know people have lots of different methods for their media folders and subfolders, that I mostly don't understand. I also know my user name is different on my new computer. I eventually just want to have maybe 2 or 3 folders: one pictures, one documents and maybe one Ancestry. Right now I just need to know where to start.

Thanks,

Kathy

#2 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:58 AM

Kathy, you've got several items to deal with here:

1.  Ancestry via TreeShare indeed downloads all media to a single folder, and will give the files non-intuitive/ repetitious names.  The fix is not to use TreeShare to download media, but rather to manually download into your desired folder structure.  More work, to be sure, but the manual way lets you put your media items where you want them, and then use RM's links to attach them to sources and citations.  You can correct TreeShare's single folder by manually moving all the items you've already downloaded and relinking them.

2.  Try "search and replace everywhere" to fix the media links.  Type Ctrl-H to bring up the Search and Replace dialog window.  In the first dropdown, select "Multimedia filenames."  Search for "C:\Users\user\Documents\Documents\Ancestry Ehlman-Feltel_media" (your old path name) and Replace with your new path name (including your new user name).  This will point all the old computer links to the new computer location.

3.  The method each individual uses to organize their media folders and subfolders varies widely.  Some like narrow/ deep, some like broad/ shallow.  If you have three folders, you're one of the latter.  Use whatever method pleases you and matches your workflow!  For me, the data involved in genealogy devolves into main categories:  people, places and general items.  I keep media associated with people in the folder for each person.  For places, I have a folder for each large cemetery and any location where there are lots of relevant files.  I'm one of the narrow/ deep folks, but fantastic genealogists on this forum use different methods.

Please do reply if any of this is unclear.  Good luck!

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#3 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:11 AM

RM7 program preferences lets you specify specific folders for media, reports, etc.

Just set that to point to your new pc media folder containing your old media. Windows is awful in path and file names but that should work. It does on macs.

#4 lubbersk

lubbersk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:49 AM

2.  Try "search and replace everywhere" to fix the media links.  Type Ctrl-H to bring up the Search and Replace dialog window.  In the first dropdown, select "Multimedia filenames."  Search for "C:\Users\user\Documents\Documents\Ancestry Ehlman-Feltel_media" (your old path name) and Replace with your new path name (including your new user name).  This will point all the old computer links to the new computer location.

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for your response. I followed your instructions in point 2 and RootsMagic can now find the Ancestry files. I will have to do more to reorganize other media and figure out how exactly I want to do that but this was a great first step. I will reflect on your points 1 and 3 and see which way I want to go. Thanks for such clear instructions and your ideas about media storage.

Best regards,

Kathy