• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chzuck

chzuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 09:34 AM

I have a couple of files that I got from someone else and I do not want to add or change them.  Is there anyway to lock or protect the file from adding or changing information to that file?

#2 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 10:19 AM

I don't know if you can do anything about  it within RootsMagic, but you might try marking the file read-only. Right-click on the file name and select the properties sheet. The check-box for read-only is on one of the tabs.

RootsMagic tries to write the file out continuously and you may find that the program freezes as you try to inspect the data. In that case perhaps you best bet is to copy the files to some other location and mark them read-only there but don't mark the copies that RM uses.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3982 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 12:28 PM

If you open an RM database with the RM program, then the RM program will write into the database even you never change any actual data. You will not be able to look at the data with the RM program unless the RM program has read/write access to it.

Robert's suggestion to make a copy that you mark read-only is your best best. Then you can look at the copy that's still marked read/write. If ever you change it by accident, you can then delete the read/write copy, make a second copy from the read-only copy, and mark one of the two copies read/write again.

Jerry

#4 chzuck

chzuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for the input. 

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8793 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:50 AM

The backup will preserve the database at the time it was created. A read-only database cannot be opened. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 chzuck

chzuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 09:53 AM

The backup will preserve the database at the time it was created. A read-only database cannot be opened. 

I will put locked in the filename, then hopefully I will remember not to change that file.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lock, protect