• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MichelleRI8

MichelleRI8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 10:56 AM

Ever since my first genealogy software years ago, I've kept 2 separate databases. Both are now in RM7, a few thousand in my own Family db, and a few hundred in a "Friends" db I've used for a number of friends little questions over the years. Since I've done minimal customizing and no media attachments, it hasn't been a problem. Now that I've invested some time learning, and committed to a file system for media, and also gotten a few custom source templates exactly the way I want them, do I have to waste time "manually" doing the same custom sources in Friends, or is there an easy way to work with both?  Should I just combine or merge them somehow?  If I do, can I use Groups or some other device to work with my family alone?

#2 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:39 AM

MichelleR18,

I was doing the same in RM7, keeping my family and my wife's family in separate databases. Eventurally I gave that up and meged the two into one. I now use groups and colors to distinguish between the two families. Pretty easy to do but there is a certain amount of maintenace involved keeping up the groups and colors.

I also use groups and colors to identify tree members in my various research stages (to be done, in work, complete etc.)

Hope this helps

Rick

RickL

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 03:25 PM

But remember that it only takes one errant mouse click to clear all colors.

#4 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 05:07 PM

But remember that it only takes one errant mouse click to clear all colors.

Very True

I guess that is what backups are for...............

You can also put a note against the person regarding which family etc, but the group membership can also help to recover if colors are somehow changed/deleted

RickL

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3557 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 10:45 AM

MichelleR18,

I would agree with Rick Landrum, like most users I tried to maintain several fragment databases years ago and would never go back to that maintaining several and wondering where I entered what.

I wouldn't worry about how colours can be accidentally cleared as they are easily reinstated by using relationships or other search criteria.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0.3, Rootsmagic 7.6.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 03:42 PM

Family History Research Status - Roots Magic

I wanted to somehow "visually" identify an individual's research status as I viewed the family tree in RM's various screens. I have used the following technique for several years, and it has worked out very well. The same process can also be used for other purposes, such as identifying different families in the same database. All that is necessary is to create groups for the particular need, and assign different colors as desired.

In my process, for example, as research progresses, persons will be added to one or more of the following "groups" in RM depending on the current status of research. Direct descendant means those who are biologically descended from a person, while an indirect descendant means someone who is of a blood relation, but not a biological descendant. The latter includes those who have to go through a cousin or a marriage in order to find the desired ancestor. You can also use the RM color set tool to assign colors to a whole group all at once instead of having to do it person by person. I usually wait and do this periodically.

Persons can be color coded as follows to make visual identification of status easier when 
reviewing lists in RM:

Example:
1) Research completed and Posted in RM & ANC- Direct Ancestor  [LIME GREEN]
2) Data Cleaning required - Direct Ancestor [YELLOW]
3) Research completed and Posted in RM & ANC- Indirect Ancestor  [MAROON]
4) Data Cleaning required - Indirect Ancestor [FUCHSIA]
5) Waiting research (black, or left as default)

Note: A given person can be assigned to more than one group simultaniously to designate other purposes, but should only be assigned to one research status group.

For what it is worth
Enjoy
Rick

RickL

#7 MichelleRI8

MichelleRI8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 09:46 AM

Thank you all!  You've convinced me to go the one db route. I backup so frequently that's not an issue. Thanks especially for answering me here, where it will be much easier for me to find these notes again than in FB.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: custom sources, databases, files