Photo

Have two "Edit Person" windows open simultaneously?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 searchingfamilyhistory

searchingfamilyhistory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 02:15 PM

Hello:

Is it possible to have two "Edit Person" windows open side by side in the same RM database?  I am trying to compare data in the Facts lists and the only method I have figured out is to print out the shorter of the two lists and hold it up to the screen. 

Thank you

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 09:48 PM

I just tried to open my database and a copy side-by-side. You can display two family groups side-by-side.

But, if you try to look at the facts for the common person in both displays, only one copy works.

I don't have a dual monitor system. I wonder if that would work.

Do you have a desktop and a laptop? Install RootsMagic on both computers and have the screens side-by-side.

Or two laptops side-by-side.

BUT that might violate the RootsMagic agreement on simultaneous use. Maybe Renee can comment if this would be proper.

It would be one user on two computers, not two users each on a separate computer.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8793 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:44 AM

In RM7 with the database opened twice make one of them the Timeline view. It can be used like the Edit Person screen. The other thing I do is use RM To-Go along with the desktop version. You will need to use a copy of the database doing that. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 searchingfamilyhistory

searchingfamilyhistory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:52 AM

Thank you Renée.  This open the data base twice solution works sufficiently.  I was unaware that one could do that. 

I appreciate the help.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8793 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:02 AM

Do you have a desktop and a laptop? Install RootsMagic on both computers and have the screens side-by-side.

Or two laptops side-by-side.

BUT that might violate the RootsMagic agreement on simultaneous use. Maybe Renee can comment if this would be proper.

It would be one user on two computers, not two users each on a separate computer.

John, since you first purchased RM we have changed our license agreement. You can now install and use RM on every computer in your household, without the restriction regarding simultaneous use. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 01:45 PM

Renee,

Would my idea of a dual monitor system work? I did not have such a setup, so I am not able to test it.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8793 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 09:16 AM

I don't have dual monitors either. In RM7 I believe you would need separate programs open, such as the desktop program and RM To-Go off the flash drive. 

Renee
RootsMagic