• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JOSO

JOSO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:38 PM

I have a number of instances where the source is my own knowledge / experience.

The common expression if we were talking face to face is, "I was there" or, "I am certain this fact is true".

This usually comes as a result of the 100/80 year embargo on accessing source documents.
Example: I was a witness at my cousin's wedding but do not have access to the wedding record. As a result I know the date / times & locations & participants.

In effect the source is a declaration.

I am competent to create a source from scratch by copying and editing a source fields and editing the sentence, but I am struggling with what keywords to use.

Can I get some suggestions on how to express myself, whether I should use a repository or qualify myself so that a reader does not need to contact me to verify what I have said is correct.

A screenshot of a template or a copy of an unedited sentence would be most helpful.

Thank you, John

#2 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:40 PM

I like "Personal knowledge, RCJ" (RCJ are my initials). No repository needed. Obviously the line can be expanded should further explanation be useful.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3984 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:30 PM

I think the best way to think about it is what if you weren't at the wedding, but one of your cousins was and your cousin sent you an email or text or Facebook message or something like that with information about the wedding. How would you cite the information in that case?

There are probably several different reasonable answers to that question. But whatever the answer is for the cousin is really the same answer for yourself. So "write yourself an email", either literally or figuratively and cite that information with your name the same way you would cite it with your cousin's name.

Jerry

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1597 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 07:18 PM

I create a new Master Source for each person who contributes info to me. Whether verbal, via FB post, email, or something similar. That Master Source gets re-used (since I'm primarily a source lumper) each time that person contributes additional info.

I also use a customized Source Template to add the Repository to my Master Source.

http://forums.rootsm...ing +repository

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 10:59 AM

zhangrau,

This type of information/suggestion is exactly why I feel this forum should be kept alive. The ability to go back to previous postings, and bring those forward to update for a new or similar situation, is great!!

I have wondered how to handle these "biography" type sources, especially "word of mouth" type oral histories, and this is an excellent approach.

Thanks for the info.

Rick 

RickL

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1597 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 06:31 AM

zhangrau,

Thanks for the info.