6 replies to this topic

#1 PollyH

PollyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 05:04 PM

Is there a way to download a RootsMagic data file from my iPhone to a RM file on my laptop? I unfortunately had to reformat my hard drive and I now only have all my data files on my iPhone.

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:16 AM

Is there a way to download a RootsMagic data file from my iPhone to a RM file on my laptop? I unfortunately had to reformat my hard drive and I now only have all my data files on my iPhone.

Is the laptop a Mac or PC?

If a Mac, connect the iPhone to the Mac with a lightning to USB cable, and then in Finder, under Locations in the left hand column, look for the iPhone. (Ensure iOS devices are enabled under Locations in the Finder Preferences.) Select the iPhone and then the Files tab. Select Rootsmagic in the resulting list of applications and drag and drop the file you are interested in from the list of RootsMagic files onto the Desktop, and then move to wherever you want.  

#3 mareich

mareich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:57 PM

Whether PC or Mac, you could use a web service like Dropbox to copy your RM data file to the Dropbox folder and then from there to your PC or Mac.

***********************************************************************************

https://groups.io/g/RootsMagic-Users for discussion of RM topics

To join send an email to RootsMagic-Users+subscribe@groups.io

***********************************************************************************

#4 PollyH

PollyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:32 PM

I'm using a PC so I will try the Dropbox solution. Thanks everyone for the replys. 

#5 PollyH

PollyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:14 PM

Did not see any way in the RM program on my iPhone to download my data files to drop box. I did see how to upload files on my laptop to RM through Dropbox. I'm stumped.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8834 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:25 AM

Inside the RM App on iPhone select File>Dropbox and your file should be there is you already uploaded it. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3984 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 04:50 PM

Inside the RM App on iPhone select File>Dropbox and your file should be there is you already uploaded it. 

Indeed, if that's the way you moved the file to your iPhone, out don't even need your iPhone to get the file back. It should still be on Dropbox. Re-install Dropbox on your machine with the reformatted hard disk, using the same Dropbox account. Within the Dropbox folder, go to the Apps folder, and within the Apps folder go to the RootsMagic folder. Your RM database should be there.

Jerry