Photo

How to add Place Details (ADDR) into FamilySearch?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 psinacio

psinacio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:57 PM

I am using RootsMagic to synchronize my tree with FamilySearch Tree. How do you handle the information allocated under place details (tag ADDR) for birth, death, christening events?

I have standardize all my locations adding any particular information like, cemeteries , churches, streets, and so on under place details.

How to add this information into FamilySearch Tree. I see a lot of information fields are still missing at FS.

Is there anyway I have RM to concatenate PLACE DETAILS + PLACE during the sync in order not to loose information?

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:22 AM

I am using RootsMagic to synchronize my tree with FamilySearch Tree. How do you handle the information allocated under place details (tag ADDR) for birth, death, christening events?

I have standardize all my locations adding any particular information like, cemeteries , churches, streets, and so on under place details.

How to add this information into FamilySearch Tree. I see a lot of information fields are still missing at FS.

Is there anyway I have RM to concatenate PLACE DETAILS + PLACE during the sync in order not to loose information?

As far as I know, you have to manually add Place Details to FS. There is no way to concatenate the 2 fields in RM. This is a downside of using Place Details.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8793 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:31 AM

FamilySearch doesn't support Place Details. That is why we do not send them. I usually add my place details in the reason statement when sending or updating the fact. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3982 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:51 PM

I think the problem is much worse than that FamilySearch doesn't support Place Details. Rather, FamilySearch wishes for its users to use its Place Name Standard. And its Place Name Standard does not support the storage of the kinds of data that you would put into RM's Place Details field such as cemetery names.

I circumvent the fact that neither FamilySearch nor hardly any other genealogy software support Place Details by including cemetery information within the main Place field in RM. But if I then transmit my data to FamilySearch, I am in violation of the FS Place Name Standard. It seems to me that any Place Name Standard for genealogy that doesn't support cemetery names is completely defective.

Jerry

#5 psinacio

psinacio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:35 AM

Thanks for all your comments. 
I believe we will have to live with this limitation for while...  :(