4 replies to this topic

#1 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:21 PM

I broke down and purchased Parallels 16 since I discovered a key for Windows 10 I didn't know I had. RM7 in the crossover wrapper was not the same program for me as RM7 under Windows 10. Since the disappointing community preview of RM8, i started looking at other genealogy programs. All of the above programs have their pros and cons. I did not like the way any of them did sources as well as well as RM7. All of them seemed to transfer my media without any problem. The information in the sources transferred for the most part but were not in a nice format. Some of the programs had more charts than RM7. All showed family data but it was more difficult to access notes and sources than in RM7. I liked Family Historian but felt their treatment of sources was weak. It's too bad that RM8 is not better at this point after at least two years of development. I will continue to use RM7 for now. I purchased FTM as an upgrade and Heredis since they had a special price. I did a 30 day trial for Family Historian and do not plan to purchase it. All information was transferred via a GEDCOM to them.

#2 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:58 PM

Gerwally, I'm in the same boat.  I looked again at FH7 but don't like the way it stores media, e.g., defaulting to a project folder.  They use a GEDCOM text file as a database, too, something I'm not fond of.  It would be a whole lot of work to convert my RM7 info to FH7 for what I perceive to be little gain.

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#3 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 05:40 PM

Changing to a new piece of software is a major exercise. They all have their pros and cons regarding functionality and user interface (UI). However, in the last decade or so there has been tremendous advances in many areas of genealogy - digitisation of repository data, rationalisation amongst the software suppliers, online or desktop and "DNA" being big ones. I would suggest that these factors are at least as important as our choice of functionality and UI and arguably more important.

I am reminded of the first person that I had to sack and the advice from the then Personnel Manager was "Sacking someone is the easiest task in the world." then adding to my startled face "Making the decision they have to go is the hardest part." In our world, it is the same - migration to new software is not the issue but the choice of which one, particularly taking into account where the industry is going and what "we" think we will need in the future. It isn't realistic to hope / plan to stay on an old version of an old piece of software "forever". Ultimately it will stop working as other software around it e.g. Windows 3/95/NT/98/XP/Vista/7/8/10 . . . and the migration, then, will be worse, like going from horse to 4WD in one go.

When the demise of The Master Genealogist (TMG) was announced, one of the stated factors was that it had been built on a database that had, by that time, been obsolete and unsupported for a long time so the cost to rewrite / redevelop TMG could never be recovered by the small volume sales in this marketplace. A major factor for me in my migration to RM was that it is built on a contemporary database widely used in commercial businesses and therefore expected to have a good and long future. Since then the pace of change in genealogy software has increased and others have either "gone" or been taken over by a major player e.g. Legacy by MyHeritage.

My view is - look around by all means but look wider outside of your specific genealogy needs and seriously research, or seek advice about, the current and trending software environmental in which you plan to work.

Cheers

Robert

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3545 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 09:00 PM

I did a 30 day trial for Family Historian and do not plan to purchase it. All information was transferred via a GEDCOM to them.

I demonstrated to RM why I was being tempted towards FH6 Jan 2019 by private video and jumped ship around 12 months ago due to lact of progress still keeping my eye on RM8 development. I haven't shared that video as it was private and I don't want to slap RM down in a crisis but I will share comparison videos in maybe 6 months time to give them the chance to close the many gaps.

Gerwally, I'm in the same boat.  I looked again at FH7 but don't like the way it stores media, e.g., defaulting to a project folder.  They use a GEDCOM text file as a database, too, something I'm not fond of.  It would be a whole lot of work to convert my RM7 info to FH7 for what I perceive to be little gain.

The Family Historian gains for me were the advanced data mining which is possible, the Ancestry style All relatives view which RM does not even come close to and the Mapping where you can simply drag a Place to the map to geocode it. RM8 appears to have made some advances in terms of filtering but not on the other issues which is disappointing as our needs for research are all broadly simlar.

Everyones research needs differ, although they are all founded in reporting and comparing data, so the choice is not a crystal clear yes or no to any program, underneath it all the needs of serious researchers are broadly the same and I find my needs are better catered for in Family Historian. I have been with Rootsmagic from the Family Origins days, 20+ years, but in recent years our paths appear to be diverging and so be it. RM are charged with running a business and the mass attraction of the modern genealogist who prefer to build on Ancestry and have a desktop backup is a considerable attraction and one Rootsmagic seems drawn towards, that is their business decision and not ours.

Family Historian, on the other hand, have resisted FS and Ancestry interaction beyond hints so place their focus more on the serious genealogy researcher camp. The other main difference you will notice is if you go to the Family Historian facebook group it's like tumble weed, almost no posts since the release of version 7, compare that to where Rootsmagic is. The other thing is that Rootsmagic appear determined to close these forums whereas Family Historian defers facebook posts to there FHUG where a more constructive and searchable community exists, who can say why Rootsmagic have chosen the unconstructive Facebook only approach.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:55 AM

FTM 2019 works very well on the mac and it's data structure closely matches Ancestry.com so "treesharing" works much better than RM7. Let's not even mention RM8. The ancestry hints are a powerful feature and a free update to FTM 2019 is close to release along with a new paper manual. FTM is the only other program than RM7 that shows all your person facts/events on one screen. FTM avoids all the problems with a crossover windows fake environment.

Heredis (awful french support) and Macfamilytree (awful tree view) both bundle media in your data file. This avoids broken links but makes for a very large database file.

Reunion 13 came out in late November. It is a smooth running mac program with a good source citation approach but lacks a manual and still breaks up a person's fact/event details into multiple screens which is a non-starter for me.

I would prefer a RM7 native mac program but that seems a very distant hope based on the current RM8.

Killing this forum is another reason to look elsewhere. No, Renee facebook is not an option. Fb requires a phone number so no way for me.