#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 02:04 PM

I have a two part question.

Shortly after TreeShare was introduced, I asked the forum if anyone knew how to copy the source/citation details from Ancestry to Roots Magic when an Ancestry  hint was accepted and transferred to RM. The answer I received was that I would have to copy and paste those details into RM manually. Tree Share will not move that data across. I have been using that process every since. It is slow and tedious to accomplish. I copy the research notes, summary, transcription, extraction, or text from the source, and then paste it into the RM7 source detail text. ( I realize that not everyone may want these details transferred, but I use the information routinely to search for more information about other family members.)

My first question is, has anything changed?
I'm hoping I am just missing a step in the process that would automate the transfer of this data.

My second question is, will RM8 have any improvements  in this regard?
Since it appears that I will be using RM7 for some time to come, at least until RM8 is available, I sure would like to have a faster/easier process for capturing and transferring this data.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
Rick

RickL

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8780 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:49 AM

This is actually an issue with what Ancestry sends through their API. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 10:54 AM

Renee,

So I assume (given the future switch to RM8) that nothing will be done about this in RM7; and that I will just have to continue to manually copy/paste the data?

Any word on how this will work in RM8?

Rick

RickL

#4 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 03:02 PM

Rick, 

I would assume that if the Ancestry API does not send the information correctly (or at all) that unless they change their API (the code they use to send information) that RM8 will have the same issue.

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 03:59 PM

That was not what i wanted to hear, but it was what I expected. Manually copying and pasting these details works ok but is very time consuming. I was hoping RM8 would have an improved process.

Thanks anyway

Rick

RickL