• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewElves

AndrewElves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:43 AM

I am not what you would call an experienced person! - so I have a question about marriage and the use of alt names.

When you record a marriage fact, I have also been recording the use of an alt name to show the married name.  Is this right?

Marriage fact recorded/attached to Florence May Lawther as this was her maiden name, and then under Alt Name Florence May Bainbridge

The Truth is Out There!  :ph34r:

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 08:34 AM

That is a perfectly acceptable use of the Alternate Name fact. I have found over time I haven't been adding them like I used to. Typically it's when I find documents under the married names, and don't know her maiden name. I will add only the given name for her primary name and the married name as the alternate name in those cases. I also add them when a woman marries for a second time and the marriage record lists her previous married name and not her maiden name for her. It really is a personal call on what helps you the most. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 12:55 PM

Marriage fact recorded/attached to Florence May Lawther as this was her maiden name, and then under Alt Name Florence May Bainbridge

AndrewElves, I do much the same.  Many, many records list only the married female name, and I want to make it easy for me to search my list of people.  So, I record the birth name as primary and the married name as alternate.

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#4 AndrewElves

AndrewElves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 04:22 PM

Thank you both...

The Truth is Out There!  :ph34r: