1 reply to this topic

#1 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:51 PM

I have several photographs in my media gallery where I am now seeing multiple (normally just two) instances of a single file.

So for each case what I see in the gallery is a pair of identical thumbnails that both point to the SAME media file on my hard drove.

The only difference seems to be one version is tagged to certain people in the photo, and the other version is tagged to the remaining people in the photo.

I notice for a lot of them that involve a family, frequently one version has just the parents tagged, and the other version has all the kids tagged.

For a lot of/all of these, I added the media by drag and drop onto each persons individual media gallery.

Is there a way to clean this up so I just see one thumbnail in the media gallery per each unique media file, and that one media gallery entry is tagged with ALL the people in the photo?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 03:12 PM

The only way I can think of is by using SQLite. You would find the duplicate file pointers in MultiMediaTable, record their MediaIDs, delete one record. Then in the MediaLinkTable, find the records with MediaID matching the deleted one and change those to the remaining MediaID.

Within RM, you would have to manually add tags to the media record you want to keep that duplicate the tags for the one you want to get rid of and then 'Remove media' the latter.

A simple SQLite script can readily identify those media items that have been recorded multiple times.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.