10 replies to this topic

#1 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 07:19 AM

Will RootsMagic 7 for Windows continue to be supported? For how long?

Are you still taking feature requests for RM7? 

Will errors or problems continue be fixed? 

~ Debbie

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 10:20 AM

RootsMagic 8 has not been officially released. That means RootsMagic 7 will continue to be sold and updated when needed. I think it pretty safe to say you won't see any new features released in RM7 at this point. Development effort is being spent on the full release of RootsMagic 8. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 10:48 AM

Will RootsMagic 7 for Windows continue to be supported? For how long?

Are you still taking feature requests for RM7? 

Will errors or problems continue be fixed? 

Interesting you should ask that question today of all days :o

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 03:51 AM

The announcement on Jan. 1, 2021, quoted below is disturbing. So "RootsMagic 7 will continue to be sold and updated when needed" but you're taking away this forum in the "near future"? 

For those interested in RootsMagic 8 the discussions will be on our RootsMagic 8 Community Preview Facebook page. The RootsMagic forums will be retired in the near future, due to no migration path to move forward and having become a security concern. For now you can continue to use the forums to discuss RootsMagic 7. The RootsMagic Blog gives information on joining the RootsMagic 8 Community Preview.

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3438

Renee
RootsMagic

This forum has tons of good tips on it! Will you be copying all the helpful information to the RootsMagic help page? Or will help only be available on Facebook? 

~ Debbie

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 10:59 AM

No one should be using the Community Preview version of RM8 for their primary database.  It should strictly be used for testing or out of curiosity for seeing what it might look like at this point.  Even once the production version is released, it might be wise to hold off moving over until more bugs can be worked out and features added due it being a full rewrite.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 11:33 AM

It looks like it will be a long time until RootsMagic 8 will work for me. Releasing it without all the features we are already used to in RM7 doesn't make sense. 

From what I've seen of RM8 I'm pretty sure I will NOT switch to it, but will continue to use RM7 into the future. I have used RM7 since it was Family Origins. RM7 is highly intuitive, does everything I want (almost), and my fingers just know where to go.

I have the beta (?) version of RM8 and while the pedigree screen looks fine, when I double-click on a person that edit screen is too big to fit the monitor. So it is unusable. I can

t re-size it and it doesn't even have scroll bars to move it around. I suspect RM will tell me to adjust my monitor display size, but I'm not going to do that for this one app and destroy the look of everything else.

So I hope RM7 will be supported for years to come.

Disappointed... Ted S.

I have been trying RM8 and do remember this is pre release software and not the finished product, as already said it's only prudent to use it with a copy of your database.

Whilst it is disappointing to see those opposed to Facebook (and I dislike it myself) being left out of a discussion forum such as this the little envelope top right of RM8 opens up a feedback page where you can send your views to Rootsmagic. I would encourage everyone to do that rather than simply throwing in the towel, at the end of the day Rootsmagic does need to please their customers new and old.

My first impressions were similar to others, nothing works like I am used to, but there are the beginnings of some useful features in there once they fix the broken links, bugs and dead ends, they certainly won't be able to do that without user feedback.

Rootsmagic are doing a lot of things recently which I don't understand or can align with like dropping forums such as this, let's be honest we will never know their reasoning. I do not use Rootsmagic as my primary program but I will still jump in and out of it and use their feedback form to share my thoughts and opinions, if old users are not prepared to do that then they will miss the chance to shape RM8 or walk away to another program. In my opinion it's going to be quite some months before we see something which feels right to previous users yet works better so I would encourage giving them a chance by telling them what you think and how things could be better, after all that's what the preview is for.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

Root

#7 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 12:59 PM

Vyger, asking to learn, not to argue.  Whey do you use four different genealogy programs?  I find it time consuming to keep trees up to date on Ancestry, FTDNA and FamilySearch, and you've got all those programs in addition!  Are there particular features in each that make them must-use?  How do you keep them in synch?

thanks, Jim

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 02:08 PM

Vyger, asking to learn, not to argue.  Whey do you use four different genealogy programs?  I find it time consuming to keep trees up to date on Ancestry, FTDNA and FamilySearch, and you've got all those programs in addition!  Are there particular features in each that make them must-use?  How do you keep them in synch?

thanks, Jim

I demonstrated to Rootsmagic on 14 Jan 2019 (2 years ago) by private video the things I was finding most difficult in RM7 but were facilitated in Family Historian v6 in an effort to provide user feedback and aid general development. I found myself being tempted away by these features except my 20+ years of loyalty really left me sincerely wishing RM could fill these gaps once and for all. I'm not sure you are involved in the RM8 preview which I am trying to help with but some of those issues I highlighted have been addressed in a matter of fashion. The filtering of Lists like People View, Index, Place List has definitely been addressed but many other shortcomings have not thus far, but remember RM8 is pre release software, it has been declared some features are blocked in the preview version and RM8 is not yet market ready.

For the record Family Historian V6 was released around a year after RM7 and Family Historian V7 has just been released, they make no attempt to provide a Mac version and also do not facilitate Ancestry share. Family Historian is much more expensive than RM, I often wished RM would hike the price and bring in some programming help, we hear the price will rise but as yet we have not seen the figure.

Whilst I have access to the features of those programs I would only use FTM and Legacy very occasionally for certain one shot display purposes, bit like a genealogy viewer/analyzer I do not strive to keep them updated. Family Historian has become my main program, personally I find it superior in terms of mapping, data mining and speed of use, the Ancestry style "All Relatives Diagram" is something I never expected RM to come close to but once used becomes almost the must-use you referred to at least for me, Heredis 21 has a similar feature although I have not trialed it yet. Another feature which is common with most modern packages is the facility of geocoding by highlighting or dragging to the map, I understand RM8 Mapping is still being developed but any attempt at such a now common place feature is not evident in the current build which still relies on the inaccurate and incomplete Gazetteer look up, even the FS site is more up to date.

I am treading carefully here as this is still a Rootsmagic board, they can moderate posts on FB and also delete posts here, I want to answer your question yet I do not want to appear to be criticizing RM8 which I say again is PRE release software and not fully complete. As regards the video I referred to I viewed it again only a few nights ago but it was intended as a private visual message to RM development and it would not be right to share it here, there are videos on Youtube if you search. As I said I am trying to help RM at present but I will doubtless make some comparison videos maybe 6 months after RM release and publish them to Youtube to compare the two programs, remember everyone has different needs, styles and preferences.

Bottom line is my personal research is demanding and FH fills my needs better at this point in time, exchanging gedcom between FH and RM is pretty lossless so I still use RM to maintain my Place Details database and manage Tasks. I have to say that RM8 does not currently plot Place Details in Mapping and neither does it allow highlighting a Place and plotting all the Place Details within the Place so in the pre release version these are negatives and we must wait and see what evolves.

My personal preference would be to use ONLY one piece of genealogy software, I'm sure we would mostly be the same, that program does not exist for me but FH comes pretty close.

Root

#9 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:36 AM

Thanks, Vyger.  Yes, I'm involved in the community preview and did some beta testing in December.  I looked at Family Historian v6 and for me it was not better than RM7.  I wrote the perfect piece of genealogy software back in the 1980's (GeneLink, and you've never heard of it!) but decided I'd rather do genealogy than write code.

I appreciate your response and the many, many ways you've supported this forum.

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#10 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 02:26 PM

I appreciate your response and the many, many ways you've supported this forum.

Thank you, we have had some productive discussions on this forum through the years, although they may not have come to much I believe we have all gained a little and maybe lost a little hair :D .

RM has said they are archiving this forum, I guess for their benefit and not ours, just a heads up that I will be changing my hosting in the next few weeks so all my images will likely disappear and in light of the forum being closed I would see no point in taking time to renew the links.

It's been a pleasure working with you all even if we did not always agree, I'm over on the non RM moderated forum if anyone has not made the switch yet.

Root

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:07 AM

You can talk about RM8 in your private group but we are not going to advertise it and discuss it here. RootsMagic 8 is in Community Preview, not fully released and it has a proper place for its discussion. 

https://www.facebook...tsmagic8preview

Renee
RootsMagic