17 replies to this topic

#1 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 05:35 AM

Now that the Community Preview for RM8 is available to anyone who wishes to try it, could we please have a forum for us to comment, complain and discuss various aspects of it.

I am sure I am not alone in never wanting anything to do with Facebook, and without such a forum, I feel somewhat left out despite being a regular and hopefully constructive user of the forums for rather more years than I wish to recall.

#2 Davvey

Davvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:26 AM

I agree, never used Facebook and do not want to, so a forum here would be very useful

#3 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 08:30 AM

Completely agree — in fact it was requested last night on the wish list in this forum.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3560 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:35 AM

Now that the Community Preview for RM8 is available to anyone who wishes to try it, could we please have a forum for us to comment, complain and discuss various aspects of it.

I am sure I am not alone in never wanting anything to do with Facebook, and without such a forum, I feel somewhat left out despite being a regular and hopefully constructive user of the forums for rather more years than I wish to recall.

I agree, never used Facebook and do not want to, so a forum here would be very useful

Completely agree — in fact it was requested last night on the wish list in this forum.

I am on the Facebook group and it is very active today following the release. Personally I don't like Facebook, it's unstructured and hard to find things again, the same questions come up almost every day but it would seem Rootsmagic are preferring that platform with all it's downsides to these forums.

The only positive about Facebook groups is the ease of adding screenshots and images, think Renee had a late shift last night so maybe we will hear something later.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0.3, Rootsmagic 7.6.5

Genealogy software comparison and how to videos

Root

#5 rob p

rob p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:41 AM

Count me in here, too. I abandoned FaceBook a long time ago, and never intend to go back.

I've been an RM8 beta tester, and now that the non-disclosure is over, I have much to say.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8796 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 10:38 AM

Sorry, but we are not opening up a RootsMagic 8 forum. We have decided that the RM8 Community Preview will take place on the Facebook group provided. This allows all users to submit screen shots where doing so is an issue here on the forums. The forums is also a security concern. For us to move the forums we would loose all our old data, which would not serve anyone. Eventually, the forums will be archived. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 11:12 AM

Do you know how to search for a specific question and answer on the Facebook Forum?  Or for that matter any specific thread in Facebook?   I don’t and would love to learn!

#8 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 11:56 AM

This is a bad decision, Renee. Not to put too fine  point on it, Facebook is useless for research and nearly useless for serious discussion. It's unclear why this forum is "a security risk." What's at risk? User names? The Facebook group suffers the same "risk." IIRC Facebook has been hacked several times.

No one is asking you to "move the forum" or to risk losing data. We only ask that you continue the bulletin board and open a new sub-forum for RM8.

Finally, it's coherent discussion, not screen shots, that are the virtue of a forum like this one. The most expert help from amongst your community is found here. IMO RootsMagic is making a big mistake.

Robert

#9 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 12:37 PM

Bingo!  Spot On.

Spencer

"Genealogy is an infinite binary series -- both progressively and regressively -- propagated by means of a terminal, sexually-transmitted disease, producing a 100% death rate -- which we call Life." -- D. Spencer Hines - 4 June 1997

#10 Less

Less

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 12:46 PM

So, is this "final clarity" that Facebook will be the official RM support community, with groups.io being the user-supported one, and this IPBoard avenue will eventually be closed and archived? It's long been kind of confusing that there were two places for people to go (here and FB) to get help from other users as well as RM staff. I guess it's good that moving forward there will be only one.

Clarity is good. Along with the public beta / community preview we are all now able to fully see the direction the company is going in and plan accordingly. I appreciate clarity.

Leslie
Houston, TX
desktop: Family Tree Edge -> TMG -> RM

web: Wordpress + TNG + ZenPhoto 

#11 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 01:12 PM

One deficiency in the current Relationships Function in RootsMagic 7.6.5.0 is as follows:

1.  Let's say Tom wants to know all his relationships to Edward I "Longshanks" of England; the villain in the 1995 Oscar-winning Mel Gibson film, _Braveheart_.

2.  RM7 may tell Tom he has 321 relationships to "Longshanks" -- beginning with 20th great-grandson.

3.  Tom goes to _Reports > Charts > Relationship Charts in RM7 and finds that he can only delineate, examine and print ONE Relationship Chart of the 321 possible charts - the one showing him to be a 20th great-grandson.

We need a function in RM8 whereby Tom can examine in detail and print those 320 other relationships to Edward I.

Spencer

"Genealogy is an infinite binary series -- both progressively and regressively -- propagated by means of a terminal, sexually-transmitted disease, producing a 100% death rate -- which we call Life." -- D. Spencer Hines - 4 June 1997

#12 rob p

rob p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 01:17 PM

I re-joined Facebook with an anonymous name only to look there.
What a stupid idea that group is! A complete dis-organized mess of comments & opinions. You can't find anything of value, other than just perusing through a (soon never-ending) list of posts.

If THAT is the future of the official RM support community, I'm further disappointed in Roots Magic...

#13 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3984 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 01:21 PM

Sorry, but we are not opening up a RootsMagic 8 forum. We have decided that the RM8 Community Preview will take place on the Facebook group provided. This allows all users to submit screen shots where doing so is an issue here on the forums. The forums is also a security risk. For us to move the forums we would loose all our old data, which would not serve anyone. Eventually, the forums will be archived. 

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but that's a terrible decision. I'm trying to read the Facebook forum about the RM8 Community Preview, and it's a totally impossible task. For all the things Facebook is good at, it's almost impossible to convey in words how terrible it is to use as a forum of this type. The only way to convey how terrible Facebook is for this kind of forum is a mind bending scream of terror.

Jerry

#14 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 01:25 PM

What's the Rationale?

Liability Issues for RootsMagic Inc.?

Cost of Maintaining These Fora?

Therefore:  Outsourcing to Facebook?

Spencer

#15 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 03:28 PM

I used Family Origins starting with Version 2 on a 386 DOS machine and now RootsMagic 7 on Windows 10Pro.  Have the demo version of RM8.  I have posted a number of items on the RM website.

I have NO intention of ever using Facebook!!

#16 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 03:59 PM

RootsMagic 7.6.5.0 is a VERY ELEGANT and EFFICACIOUS Genealogical Program.

It would be a GREAT PITY to see it junked and replaced with a much dumbed-down and klutzy successor.

Let's Don't Throw Out The Baby With The Bathwater....

Spencer

#17 craigg43

craigg43

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 04:00 PM

I also will never use facebook for anything.

I like this forum, have found the answers to questions I have about rootsmagic, and genealogy in general.

Several post have included images, so it can be done if you know how.

Bad decision, if it is the decision to end the use of this forum for RM8,  a great loss for many of us who will not use facebook.

If it is a money issue,  I would be open to paying a small annual fee to use this forum, as I think there would be many others.

#18 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 05:10 PM

I will never use Face book.... the "Scourge of the World"

Other than this forum what is wrong with using the Groups IO forum already running parallel with this ?????????

Colin