24 replies to this topic

#21 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 03:33 PM

Since it is a log of the Feedback submitted to the RM Inc tracking system, it should have no effect on what is submitted. So that should not be a concern.

A helpful enhancement to the RM Inc tracking system would be an ID for the Feedback report sent in the confirmation email to the submitter. That could be entered in our independent Log. If that ID was unique to the issue reported, not just the serial number of the report, it would be even better!

Tom, consistency here is a real issue. People are wanting to help, but are not getting helpful feedback. If the feedback is not to RM liking, things get closed down. If RM do not like what people say they are thrown out the window. What is the future.

Currently it is like a train wreck in the jungle where there no communications and no access roads in to rescue. Also like when you hit an ants nest with a sledge hammer, ants go running in all directions.

People need to keep giving feedback. People need feedback when details are given, and RM need to come out on a regular basis to advise where they are up to. Unless this happens confusion reins.

#22 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 12:54 PM

Sorry, but we are not opening up a RootsMagic 8 forum. We have decided that the RM8 Community Preview will take place on the Facebook group provided. This allows all users to submit screen shots where doing so is an issue here on the forums. The forums is also a security concern. For us to move the forums we would loose all our old data, which would not serve anyone. Eventually, the forums will be archived.

Nope, nope, noppity, nope, nope. Facebook is a tangled mess and has no effective organization.

Bad, bad idea to drop  the forums.

It's really not difficult to add images to these forums, perhaps some users just need better guidance. I've posted a few times about the process. Something like that should be pinned to the top of the active forums.

#23 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 01:38 PM

Nope, nope, noppity, nope, nope. Facebook is a tangled mess and has no effective organization.

Bad, bad idea to drop  the forums.

It's really not difficult to add images to these forums, perhaps some users just need better guidance. I've posted a few times about the process. Something like that should be pinned to the top of the active forums.

My gut tells me images are not the real reason.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#24 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:41 PM

Everyone who has been a major help to others on the BB system thinks FB is a bad move. I agree. I'll just add that there exists a pathway to get off this system, if it's a security risk and no longer supported, yet maintain a bulletin board system that the "customers" seem to like. RM can move from IP.Board to phpBB. phpBB is used by many major players and they offer tools to assist in the move. Hard to see a downside. My $0.02

waiting on thread lock in 3...2...1....

#25 searcherofamilies

searcherofamilies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:27 PM

As a person that has been FB for many years but rarely use it now and have been looking at closing my account, for I too find using FB for the preview very difficult. As others have stated FB is not organized and to find something takes time if you can find it. Time that could be spent testing, inputting data or many other things. Though I did not use this forum yet for I just had switched to RM in August it is a great resource to loose. The forums is one reason to use this program for there is help from someone. My vote is to keep a forum but not on FB.

Edit Jan 29/21

Here is a question for the forum moderators. If this is true what Renee posted http://forums.rootsmagic.com/index.php?/topic/19923-rootsmagic-8/    "The RootsMagic forums will be retired in the near future, due to no migration path to move forward and having become a security concern" I question the security of publishing a genealogy tree on my.RootsMagic.com. If the security is a concern for the forums which probably don't have any private information what is the security concern of publishing the a tree on my.rootsmagic.com?

I may have just switched to this program but have been working on Genealogy for 25 years. Started with FTM 4, Legacy 4 -7.5, BK 5.0 -7.0, AQ 15-16, and some others. I did not take changing to RM7.5 lightly but did testing and research on it. Now you claim to want to close these forums and move to FB. How organized is that? I have been trying to be a good beta tester for RM8 but there is no organization on the feed back or the bugs. Yes I have worked on being a beta tester on other programs and helped design a program where I worked, but this by far is the most disorganized that I have seen. Please change your thoughts on using FB for this and the beta testing. Being a senior in life and having many various life experiences, but I see the new RM policy of using FB is a step in the wrong direction. You are not helping people that are looking at leaving FB!

The other concern is FB can kick a person off the platform and then the said person no longer has access to RM discussion board. Is this really moving forward or backwards? But, I will say it is a good way to lose customers using FB as a discussion board, and maybe not your fault intentionally but blindly and willingly.